News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Lubricating the Mainshaft of a T8.

Started by Stawdust, March 25, 2017, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Vaseline might work. It is a petroleum product, however, I haven't seen any documentation about using it in higher heat.

A small container of white lithium grease or similar is inexpensive, useful for many shop purposes, and should last for years.

Ken

Stickan

Ken S

I learn something new every day! Thanks, Stig.

Ken

Ken S

Stig's comment reminds me of something I learned in a class taught by machinery restorer, Robert Vaught. Bob said, "The presence of lubrication is more important than the kind of lubrication."

Logic would suggest interptreting this within reason.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Would it work better than bear grease!   8)

Origin: Big Bang

Fernando

It is my first comment in the forum, because in the world of tormek I am new
I have a recently acquired T8, and it is still a lot to lubricate, but for these issues I use a special grease"Motorkote 3w", which is the one I will use unless someone tells me it is not convenient.

I think it can be a useful contribution to the topic discussed here, complies with the requirements, and the price is affordable about 10 bucks

My native language is Spanish, so I hope the content is understood.

Reviewing the manufacturer's technical sheet says:

3W ANTI-FRICTION GREASE is recommended for all types of bearings and mechanical equipment exposed to water and / or salt conditions at any temperature range between -20 ° F and 440 ° F, retains its consistency and stability at high temperatures, as high as 1000 F. In addition, it adheres strongly to the metal surface and does not slip, dissolve or melt. It has excellent resistance to water washing even at high RPM. It has no drip point.

GREASE ANTIFRICTION
EXTRA protection for containing a package of anti-wear and anti-friction additives.
INCREASES the useful life of the machinery.
REDUCE noise and temperature.
REDUCES friction and wear.
REPEL 100% water.
EXCELLENT mechanical stability.
OPTIMAL pumpability degree.
RESISTANT to oxidation and rust.
SUPPORTING large loads.

Use it in:
It is recommended for all sliding surfaces, shafts, bearings, and all types of mechanical equipment, especially those exposed to water and / or temperature conditions. Marine equipment

Regards.

Ken S

Bienvenido, Fernando.

3W should work quite well. In fact, I would say it is of much higher quality than is needed.

You will find that one can will provide enough grease for two centuries with your new Tormek, and be very useful for many other purposes around your shop. 

Please keep posting. You are entre amigos.

Ken