News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Lubricating the Knife Jig "O" Rings

Started by RickKrung, February 06, 2018, 05:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I removed the collar and applied some silicon grease to O-ring. So the adjust was easy to rotate, but it didn't matter because I put my thumb on the collar when sharpening.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on February 10, 2018, 05:09:05 AM
I removed the collar and applied some silicon grease to O-ring. So the adjust was easy to rotate, but it didn't matter because I put my thumb on the collar when sharpening.

Putting a "thumb on the collar" won't prevent the collar from turning on the jig, in fact it will increase the likelihood... since it will basically lock the collar, allowing the rest of the jig to rotate.

It would be noticed more if you "lift the handle" to sharpen the belly/tip area.  But, not a big difference, and probably won't matter much... (unless you're measuring in .1° increments). ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 10, 2018, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: SHARPCO on February 10, 2018, 05:09:05 AM

Putting a "thumb on the collar" won't prevent the collar from turning on the jig, in fact it will increase the likelihood... since it will basically lock the collar, allowing the rest of the jig to rotate.

It would be noticed more if you "lift the handle" to sharpen the belly/tip area.  But, not a big difference, and probably won't matter much... (unless you're measuring in .1° increments). ;)

If I use my bare hands, the collar will rotate. But I always wear coated gloves. So unintended rotation rarely occurs. The glove also helps to manipulate the adjustments of the jig and the US.