News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Teaching a young turner

Started by Ken S, January 21, 2018, 05:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I went to the Woodworking Show yesterday afternoon. I was watching a member of the local turning club coaching a young person with her first experience with turning. I thought the teaching technique was excellent. The young turner was well protected with a turning helmet and a smock. The piece of cedar was very out of round, actually almost square. This meant intermittent cutting. The instructor was paying strict attention. The student seemed unafraid and gained confidence. This is the kind of introduction to turning which will inspire the student. I was impressed and happy for the young student.

The instructor was our forum's own Rich Colvin. Rich and I both live in the Columbus, Ohio area and get together every once in a while. Rich and I explored the show and had lunch together. Rich also gave me a very nice gift, the parts for the round cutter modified attachment for the SVD 185/186. His modification is very clever. I especially like that it gives a second life to my SVD-185, which had been languishing on the shelf since being replaced with the SVD-186.

Thanks, Rich,

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

Thank you for your kind words.  It is fun for me to see the joy in a person's eyes when they make something.  I hope she goes on to really enjoy a fun hobby.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.