News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

USB Height Setting Using Wootz's Applet

Started by RickKrung, January 21, 2018, 03:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: wootz on January 24, 2018, 11:23:19 AM
The Universal Support positioning in the vertical sleeves keeps returning to my thoughts, and my thoughts keep returning to a scale on the Universal Support similar to what you've just described, and some driving mechanism for it in the vertical sleeves to eliminate the play and add to precision.
This is the last area left for Tormek to improve to make this sharpener truly precise - in addition to the self-centering knife jig of course.

I could envision a more "knife centric" sharpener... maybe they're headed that way?  (Think T-2 and Bushcraft T-4).  I've also noticed Tormek's attended BladeShow for at least the last couple of years... (wonder if they went before that, if not then maybe they're headed more toward knives?).

Some of these changes I don't think would be that difficult for a company (geez look at what RickKrung can do, and from what I can tell, is a one person show!).  For example, several sharpeners have a "notched - scaled" bar for setting the angle, and some are fairly inexpensive, so that can't be a major part of the cost.  Self centering knife jig, and some of the stone options that are coming out, would further enhance it.

"Precision" in knife sharpening is definitely a key selling point nowadays for some of the higher end sharpeners... probably a clue in there too. ;)

Hopefully if they do any type of redesign, they'll solicit input from you and some of the ideas in this forum...  :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB. I don't disagree with you. My understanding is that Tormek has two primary markets. The European market is primarily knife oriented. The North American market is more focused on woodturning. I don't know how far back the Tormek participation in North American knife events goes, however, a knife focus is not new.

I am not privy to Tormek's design plans. I have seen both the machines and many of the jigs redesigned over the years. I would be surprised if we do not see some revision in the knife jigs in the next year or two. I also think we need to remember that some of us are not typical Tormek users. We are more demanding. I think that is a good thing, and, hopefully, the entire Tormek community will benefit from our needs.

Tormek has a delicate balance. It must maintain a simpler, lower cost program to satisfy the typical user and, hopefully keep the forum happy. (Good luck!)

Keep posting.

Ken

wootz

Quote from: Ken S on January 24, 2018, 03:49:21 PM
From the Office of the Moderator:

Mr. Wootz, you are forthwith banned from the forum for life.

Just kidding. Speaking only for myself, I welcome honest constructive criticism on the forum. However, if you are not careful, you will unseat me as the Chief Critic. I also consider myself the Head Cheerleader. There are many things I like about the Tormek. I do not see any of the clones as peers in either quality or innovation. That does not mean that I see no room for improvement.

As moderator and a member, I do not want to see vindictive criticism of the Tormek on the forum. That is not the same as well intentioned constructive comments.

Keep posting.

Ken

I originally intended this post to compliment your well done video. I appreciate that you made it long enough to let your message sink in. Some of us have attention spans longer than thirty seconds and don't need canned bumper music or tricky graphics. (Oops, maybe I just got myself banned from you tube......)

Your good work is appreciated!

Much appreciated, Ken - nothing but constructive.
I've tried a few, and no copycat is anywhere near to Tormek, we want it perfect just because it is almost there.

"...Some of us have attention spans longer than thirty seconds and don't need canned bumper music or tricky graphics"
Laughing LMAO

cbwx34

Still using and liking this setup (combined w/ wootz program)...

... I remarked it every 6mm (and put it on tape so it'll last a bit longer hopefully), until I can figure out a way to better mark it.

Just a quick update... (somebody give it a try).  :)

cbwx34

Quote from: wootz on January 24, 2018, 11:23:19 AM
The Universal Support positioning in the vertical sleeves keeps returning to my thoughts, and my thoughts keep returning to a scale on the Universal Support similar to what you've just described,...

;)

kwakster

Just a brainfart: could a pipecutter work to make very shallow cuts around the steel shaft, just deep enough to mark it ?

cbwx34

Quote from: kwakster on May 23, 2018, 11:24:49 PM
Just a brainfart: could a pipecutter work to make very shallow cuts around the steel shaft, just deep enough to mark it ?

I'm sure it could... my problem is seeing the dang numbers.  >:(

The "ruler" works well (better than the tape)... I made a reference mark on the USB itself, in case I need to replace it.  In my case, I found it could only be about 10mm wide (or it won't fit), off to the side a bit (the hole in the casing is oblong so there's room there, plus it is out of the way of the locking screw), and I just put it on with double stick tape.

So far, working well! ;)

Fernando

I will just give a suggestion to the case that I see of marking the tube.
I sharpen the knives and make the engraving on the knives, I am not the owner of a laser machine, this is a job I outsource with a friend, but I think that laser marking would be a good solution, not only would it mark the metal of a legible way, also it would do it in a very precise way, the laser that uses can engrave on metallic pens and cylindrical figures in general.

wootz

Hi Fernando,
Could you name an example of such a laser, a budget model if possible?

Fernando

Quote from: wootz on May 29, 2018, 12:02:50 AM
Hi Fernando,
Could you name an example of such a laser, a budget model if possible?

Hello Wootz

I'll tell you what I know.

The machine of my friend is a CO2 laser, I understand that there is a fiber laser that is capable not only of marking the metal but also of carving it, and as I see in the experiment and the results that they want to have, that would only have a cost 2 dollars in my country so I guess it would be just as economical in yours.
The brand is permanent, the knives that I have marked with CO2 laser have been washed for more than 12 years and still look good, will not resist a sanding process, if you want something more permanent it would be better to use a fiber laser, with that Laser and according to the metal you can choose the depth of the brand.

I show an image that is not from my friend's laser, but from what I have seen it doing.
The machines have many grip devices according to what you want to mark.

It has some devices to mark metal mugs, pens, etc.

Good day.

cbwx34

Quote from: Fernando on May 28, 2018, 10:10:55 PM
I will just give a suggestion to the case that I see of marking the tube.
I sharpen the knives and make the engraving on the knives, I am not the owner of a laser machine, this is a job I outsource with a friend, but I think that laser marking would be a good solution, not only would it mark the metal of a legible way, also it would do it in a very precise way, the laser that uses can engrave on metallic pens and cylindrical figures in general.

A bit beyond me... but that is a good idea. 👍  ;)