News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Strange Ticking Noise

Started by DJKinsella, January 22, 2004, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJKinsella

I recently fired up my 2000 model year system to sharpen a plane iron. The motor now makes a strange "ticking" noise. It doesn't seem to affect the sharpening process, its just rather disconcerting. To verify that it was the motor, I lifted the motor off the drive wheel and turned it on. Also, I can spin the grind stone by hand in this manner with no noise and very little effort. Since I am a total hobbiest when comes to woodwork, I really don't have that many hours on the motor. Is there anything to do regarding the noise, or should I just wait until it exhibits a more dramatic symptom?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Jeff Farris

I doubt you have a serious problem.  Try the following procedure and see if it minimizes the problem.

Remove the stone and pull the shaft from the drive side.

• Remove the stone and pull the shaft from the drive side.
  • Clean the plastic bushings and lube them with a Teflon lubricant.
  • Reinstall the shaft.
  • Treat the drive tire with automotive belt dressing.
  • Reinstall the stone.
If that doesn't tame it, call us.
Jeff Farris

DJKinsella

Thanks for the quick response. I'd already done everything on your list with the exception of application of belt dressing to drive wheel. I will get some today at lunch and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes on Monday.

DJKinsella

I have accomplished all of the suggestions and the noise still persists. I see that you will be at the Sacramento Woodworking show at the end of April, should I just bring it in when I come to the show?

Jeff Farris

Where did you buy your machine?  If it is from us, and it is within 6 years of purchase, I think we need to send you a new motor.
Jeff Farris

DJKinsella

The Tormek was a gift, so I'll do some research to see if they did the right thing and purchased from SharpToolsUSA.

Jeff, let me just say that I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to answer my posts. In today's mega-store mentality, good old fashioned customer service has gone by the wayside. You have guaranteed that any future Tormek purchases will be made through SharpToolsUSA.

DJKinsella

:( I have researched the gift and, sadly, it was purchased through a catalog source with the initials GW.

Once the noise starts to affect function, or I can't stand to listen to it, I'll be looking to get a replacement motor!

Thanks again for all your help,
Dave

Jeff Farris

If it is less than three years old, it is still under warranty.  I can arrange a replacement motor (we handle all TORMEK service work, regardless of dealer).  
Jeff Farris