News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

myford ml8

Started by Snurret, January 15, 2018, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snurret

Hi! Hope anyone here can help me, I haven´t had any luck on the net yet... Has anyone any experience with the myford ml8 lathe?  I would love to see a video of someone lubricating the spindle ... a link would do just fine! And the alignment of the centre line between the head and tail, is it really ment to be so bad ...?   / Jörgen
Wood turner

Ken S

Quote from: Snurret on January 15, 2018, 10:06:16 PM
Hi! Hope anyone here can help me, I haven´t had any luck on the net yet... Has anyone any experience with the myford ml8 lathe?  I would love to see a video of someone lubricating the spindle ... a link would do just fine! And the alignment of the centre line between the head and tail, is it really ment to be so bad ...?   / Jörgen

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jorgen.

This forum is primarily about sharpening with the Tormek. The turning portion is primarily oriented toward wood turners. I do know that several of our members have some machine shop experience, and may be able to assist you. I did a google search and found the website for the Myford Company. They seem like your best source.

https://www.myford.co.uk/

Good luck in your search.

Best regards,

Ken

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Snurret

... I know, and l'm using Tormek myself. I,m a wood turner. Ml8 is a wood turning lathe. A bit old though. I was hoping to find someone that still uses this machine, cos Myford doesn't know so much about it any longer. To watch someone in action it is almost always the best way to understand how something works.

I can't figure out if my tailstock clamp is worn or not. The alignment is very random, a problem when drilling holes whith high accurasy. And it needs lubrication (daily, depending on how much you use it). But mine hasn't been used for a while. And I've read something about soaking it with oil (32), letting it dripp out of the machine for a starter ... ? I'd like to watch how that is done!

Thanks very much for your answers!

Jörgen
Wood turner

RichColvin

Jörgen,

For a wood lathe, I recommend asking that question on the AAW Forum (http://www.aawforum.org/ ).   Loads of smart people there too.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Here is a link to the page on Lathes.co.uk for that lathe.  I did not find anything on lubrication of the spindle, but if you aren't familiar with this site, it could provide some useful information.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Par Karlsson

I am using ATF - oil, that is automatic transmission oil and I drop some drops of oil in the two holes on the headstock. Some will pour out but that is the design.

RickKrung

Quote from: Par Karlsson on January 19, 2018, 10:34:16 PM
I am using ATF - oil, that is automatic transmission oil and I drop some drops of oil in the two holes on the headstock. Some will pour out but that is the design.

I'm not sure that is such a good thing.  I don't know anything about ATF, but my sense is there are additives that may not be good for spindle bearings.   

There are oils specially formulated for spindle bearings.  They are called spindle oil.  Mobil DTE 24 Hydraulic Oil Light is what I use in my 1946 Monarch 10EE.  I once had a South Bend 9A with plain bearings.  Used a similar light spindle oil for it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Elden

Elden