News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

santoku informational review

Started by Ken S, January 14, 2018, 12:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This seems informative.  Enjoy.

Ken

https://youtu.be/nGyK1Pce2-k

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 14, 2018, 12:41:04 AM
This seems informative.  Enjot.

Ken

https://youtu.be/nGyK1Pce2-k

Good video.  Interesting that they point out (at the 3:51 mark), that the geometry of the knife matters... specifically the spine thickness... and that a knife 2.6mm thick at the spine, didn't perform as well as a knife 2.0mm thick at the spine.  (Don't see that talked about that often in these type of tests).  Other comparisons too (like a 10° sharpened edge didn't necessarily perform better than a 15° sharpened edge based on overall geometry).

Good stuff! 8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

My thoughts, exactly. I did not start sharpening knives seriously I was into my sixties. (I'm an old chisel sharpener.) There is a lot I do not know about knives. I find these videos informative.

One unexpected side effect of all this is realizing that I need a second knife block.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

On the knife block..
Use some food grade wood and make a square, fill it with bamboo skewers and you have a knife block that you can place a knife in anywhere, and pull it apart for cleaning.  They make/sell commercial versions with plastic skewers for more money if you like.

I was interested to see that review, as I have the commercial version of one of those knives (Millennial instead of the Genesis line).  The difference is the handle and NSF certification.  Price varies by location of course, but I picked up the Nakiri and Santoku for $10 from a damaged freight store.  For that price, a few minutes more often at the sharpening station, seems a bargain.
I actually have one of the Nakiri's back from the restaurant today, to sharpen. (wondering what is for dinner)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)