News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Repairing a Botched Sharpening

Started by RickKrung, January 08, 2018, 03:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

When I first got my T8, I was so anxious to try it out, I didn't follow the sage advice here to practice on some junk or unimportant knives, such as can be had at thrift stores.  I did try out the DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpener first, as that was my primary interest. But, I have two Leatherman Wave multi-tools.  One lives on my belt, the other should live on my nylon fishing fishing belt, but it has been hanging out on my workbench ever since I botched sharpening it and I've been procrastinating. I suspect I did not lift or pivot the blade as I got to the tip.

But, in the meantime, I've learned a ton reading the various posts about knife sharpening and feel that now might be a good time to try tro fix the botched job.  Basically the bevel at the curved tip is quite wide, a lot more so that on the main part of the blade.  I have not checked to see if the bevel angle at the tip is the same or not. I also managed to blunt the tip. 

I am wondering how repairing this should be approached.  I read one thread where a fellow named Magnus Sandquist put a new tip on a knife by drawing a new profile on the knife with a marker and sharpened it until that line was gone. 
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3124.0

A am wondering if the front edge should be flattened and then sharpened, or if it should just be sharpened again using some of the techiques I've learned (perhaps Herman's free hand platform) until the bevel is the same from end to end.  The problem I have with using Herman's platform is that I felt it did not work so well with the shape of the sides of the Wave blade.  I am more inclined to use the regular knife jig where I have turned down and squared off the adjustable stop. 

I think before I tackle trying to fix the Wave, I'm going to practice some more on knives I've gotten from the thrift store and maybe some of my former father-in-law's that came my way after his passing.  I need to set up my laser and try out the turned-down/squared off adjustable stop and work out the degree of lifting and pivoting that is required to get a more uniform bevel width.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Crusty

Hi Rick
I reckon you should just resharpen on the SVM-45 knife jig, mount the knife in the jig on the top flat sides of the blade and use that nice new stop, work on reducing the angle grinds back to normal. 
Most of the uneven grinds appear to be near the tip so I would start from there and work back towards the heel, make sure the knife is not on the piss in the jig as it looks like it was the first time. Once the angles are getting close sharpen as normal.
As a note, I've found most leathermans to have uneven grinds on them, (strange as they are sharpened on cnc robotic grinders).

RickKrung

Quote from: Crusty on January 08, 2018, 06:28:36 AM
make sure the knife is not on the piss in the jig as it looks like it was the first time.

Thanks.  I don't understand what is meant in the quote above.  I'm thinking it is some kind of typo, or I need to be educated in some lingo.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

Welcome to the club. For more years than I remember, I have always kept my Swiss Army Tinker Knife in my pocket. The blade is worn more than it should be, part of my tuition in Sharpening 101.

We are fortunate that the owners of these knives, while observant, will not make problems for us. You are wise to use this knife sharpening as a learning opportunity. What can we all learn from this? (By the way, my Henckel chef's knife has not been exempt from my learning process. The patient has survived and is still working.)

You noted the obvious first lesson; don't start out with an expensive knife.

The second mistake is very easy to make. The grinding wheel should be graded fine. It took years before I knew that what I thought was fine was actually a middle grit. When I used the stone grader for a full minute, I was amazed with how much finer the grit became. Stig told me he grades his grinding wheel to 600 grit. I am sure that "600" is approximate, however, it makes us aware that grading is not an all or nothing process; the experienced sharpener can benefit from middle grading. Tormek is very lean on stone grader recommendations. This should be corrected with more information.

Back on point, a wheel graded fine lets us make misgrinds slowly. Just like grinding a chisel out of square, it is not cheating to observe the process along the way and make course corrections.

If the knife was mine, I would not regrind it. I would keep it sharp and let it continue to be a quiet reminder to use good technique. Regular sharpening will gradually correct the grind.

Harpsichord builders traditionally scallop the ends of the wood keys. (work semi circles into the ends for decoration). A centuries old tradition is to intentionally leave one key unscalloped, noting as a sign of humility, "SDG" (Soli Deo Gloria, Latin for to God alone be the glory). My pocket knife is a reminder that I am continually growing. It keep me humble, and it keeps me learning. Use the gift your Leatherman knife has given you.

Ken

cbwx34

Rick,

First, I'd be curious how that was done... on the Tormek with a jig, that's kinda hard (but not impossible) to do.  That's usually seen freehand, where the knife is improperly rotated, and tipped "back" (for lack of a better term).  The Tormek setup usually prevents this, and on a shorter knife, it's hard to 'flatten out' the tip.

Quote from: Ken S on January 08, 2018, 12:12:09 PM
If the knife was mine, I would not regrind it. I would keep it sharp and let it continue to be a quiet reminder to use good technique. Regular sharpening will gradually correct the grind.
Ken

I'll 2nd this.  I would simply add a good bevel to the knife, and leave the "unevenness" alone.  For example, in this practice knife...

... you can see many uneven bevels, however it now has a decent, "even" edge on it, and cuts well.  (The black part that looks like it was colored with a marker, is the current edge).  May not look the greatest, but actually performs well, since it was thinned a bit.  ;)

If you do decide to try and repair it, keep in mind a few things (you may already know):

• Making tip repairs requires removing a fair amount of metal away from the tip.  In this case, you'd probably have to start around 1/3 of the way back from the tip, and work your way toward it.  (You'll also be making the tip area thicker, and may not cut as well).
  • Make sure you don't end up with a tip that sticks out when the knife is closed, which can happen if you do all the work from the bevel side.
  • If you do decide to repair or reshape the tip area, I would not do it as shown in the link you referenced.  I would mark it with a Sharpie as you suggested, but then grind 90° to the stone to reshape the knife, then grind in a new edge.  Much easier approach.
But, like I said, on this knife, I would just sharpen a good edge on it.  You can spend a bit more time in the "belly to tip" area, and over time it might create a bit better tip, but I think a good sharpening will give you a decent tip, and a knife that will cut well.

Quote from: RickKrung on January 08, 2018, 06:49:25 AM
make sure the knife is not on the piss in the jig as it looks like it was the first time.

Thanks.  I don't understand what is meant in the quote above.  I'm thinking it is some kind of typo, or I need to be educated in some lingo.

Rick

I'm hoping typo.  ;)  ;D  (I think "place" may make it make sense?)  :o

p.s.  I think this knife is a good candidate for your "squared off" jig stop.  (And as always, Sharpie is your friend).  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Just for (hopefully) a little better idea, I did a quick resharpening in the jig (similar to your setup), at a little lower angle... to give a better example...

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Crusty

Quote from: RickKrung on January 08, 2018, 06:49:25 AM

Rick

No typo, ozzy slang. Basically translates to not "straight or true", To me it looks like the knife was on a slant in the jig, more grind on one side than the other.

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 08, 2018, 03:25:30 PM
Rick,

First, I'd be curious how that was done... on the Tormek with a jig, that's kinda hard (but not impossible) to do.  That's usually seen freehand, where the knife is improperly rotated, and tipped "back" (for lack of a better term).  The Tormek setup usually prevents this, and on a shorter knife, it's hard to 'flatten out' the tip.

Quote from: Ken S on January 08, 2018, 12:12:09 PM
Ken

I'll 2nd this.  I would simply add a good bevel to the knife, and leave the "unevenness" alone.  For example, in this practice knife...

p.s.  I think this knife is a good candidate for your "squared off" jig stop.  (And as always, Sharpie is your friend).  ;)

First, it was done in a knife jig, SVM-45.  I don't really recall what I did so I can't help there.

Second, thanks for the feedback.  I will not regrind it, and will just grind a good bevel, as suggested.  And I will probably use the squared off stop.  After practicing a bit more.

Third, I don't recall that the knife was anything but straight, but I'll make sure this time.

Regarding  Herman's free-hand platform, it definitely puts scratches on the side of the blade.  I am thinking of putting some blue painters tape on both sides, down close to the bevel but far enough back to not impinge on the stone.  I'll try it on a practice knife first. 

Rick