News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Does Tormek make a scratch on the side of the blade?

Started by Sharpco, January 08, 2018, 06:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Tormek is water cooled sharpener and has water trough. During and after the sharpening, the water in the trough has stone grit coming off the grinding stone.

So when I sharpen high-end knives, I worry that this grit will make a scratch on the side of the blade because I wipe the blade to check burr very often.

Ken S

Sharpco,

You ask an interesting question. As I do not remember it being asked before since I started on the forum in 2009, I think it is not a problem. However, I think it is prudent to be mindful of it and take precautions.

As I remember, you often work out of your van. The abrasive grit will settle on the bottom of the trough. If you use a turkey baster during the day to siphon out most of  the water from your water trough and into a plastic jar, you can wipe out almost all of the grit from the trough with a paper towel. When you refill the trough from the jar, the water will be almost grit free.

You might try using a microfiber cloth to wipe off your blades.

Keep thinking and asking questions!

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on January 08, 2018, 06:53:06 AM
Tormek is water cooled sharpener and has water trough. During and after the sharpening, the water in the trough has stone grit coming off the grinding stone.

So when I sharpen high-end knives, I worry that this grit will make a scratch on the side of the blade because I wipe the blade to check burr very often.

It's less likely to scratch the knife with the Tormek setup, since, as you stated, most of the grit is in the water trough.  As opposed to sharpening on a waterstone, where the 'swarf' stays on the stone and on the knife.  In this case, if I'm worried about scratching, I'll rinse the knife first... even a few squirts from a spray bottle with water will usually rinse the swarf off.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on January 08, 2018, 12:25:44 PM
You might try using a microfiber cloth to wipe off your blades.

I use a microfiber towel to wipe it off. It seems to be helpful, but I don't know if I can be completely relieved.

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 08, 2018, 03:40:44 PM
It's less likely to scratch the knife with the Tormek setup, since, as you stated, most of the grit is in the water trough.  As opposed to sharpening on a waterstone, where the 'swarf' stays on the stone and on the knife.  In this case, if I'm worried about scratching, I'll rinse the knife first... even a few squirts from a spray bottle with water will usually rinse the swarf off.

I think Tormek is definitely better than the waterstone in that regard.

SharpenADullWitt

Remember only the edge is on the stone.  The other matter, must travel up in the water that goes on the blade.  You should be able to adjust that by the amount of water in the trough, as well as speed of the knife on the stone, the angle, etc.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I noticed some scratches on one of my knives last evening. It is the santoku I have reground with only a single 15ยบ bevel on the left side. (I am left handed.) I now have more knives in my kitchen than slots in my knife block, so this knife resides in a drawer, I should say, with embarrassment, carelessly placed in the drawer. I have not noticed scratches on the knives I keep in my knife block.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Look at the old threads on knife guards.  The Tormek forum over on Yahoo, has something on sizes (from memory) and I picked up some old manila file folders (damaged freight store, something like $5), which is heavier material I have used to make guards from.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)