News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Axe with Tormek?

Started by Sharpco, November 26, 2017, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on December 06, 2017, 10:06:25 PM
Ear3, you are correct, the screw clamp shown was made by Protool.

When the circular flat end of the clamp's screw roles without slipping along the USB, than the points of the edge trace a curve called extended cycloid.

Jan

P.S. Click the image to start or stop the animation.

Your posts always make me think (and I had to sleep on this one),  ??? but this doesn't affect the ax head being sharpened, does it?  (Unless the head was actually attached to the circle at a point, and following that path you show...

... if it did, I'd think you'd see little "arches" on the ax, (since the radius isn't the same)?   ???

(Either way, I learned something new!)  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

CB, you are correct, there is whole system of scratches on the axe bevel.

The animated cycloid is not very instructive, because in reality the radius of the clamp jaw is many times smaller than the distance between the USB and the LOC, where the axe meets the stone.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on December 07, 2017, 06:53:37 PM
CB, you are correct, there is whole system of scratches on the axe bevel.

The animated cycloid is not very instructive, because in reality the radius of the clamp jaw is many times smaller than the distance between the USB and the LOC, where the axe meets the stone.

Jan

I will have to ponder this one for a while... unless the ax was actually attached to the rotating wheel... I'm not seeing it.  ???

(But, you know me... sometimes it takes a while).  ;)

Jan

CB, your understanding is correct. My description was probably not accurate enough, you know I am an alien.  ;)

When the screw of the clamp is tighten, then the wheel of the clamp jaw is firmly attached to the axe head.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on December 07, 2017, 11:19:27 PM
CB, your understanding is correct. My description was probably not accurate enough, you know I am an alien.  ;)

When the screw of the clamp is tighten, then the wheel of the clamp jaw is firmly attached to the axe head.

Jan

Your description is fine... I just have to think and get a bit more detail.   :o

I think I understand it now.  :)

Jan

I have honed the bevel of the old axe (shown in reply #16) on the honing wheel and measured BESS sharpness. The score is now 230 gf, which is quite good value for such a thick blade with 35° included edge angle.

Jan