News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tighten the shaft nut

Started by Sharpco, December 08, 2017, 02:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Yesterday, The shaft nut of T-8 is loosened and I temporarily tightened.

I have to firmly tighten the nut. However when I doing this, how can I support the other side?

wootz

Ken S

Sharpco,

I probably won't be able to get to my shop until Monday to look at my Tormek. In the meantime, I am unclear about your shaft/nut problem. Are the pins and sockets of the leather honing wheel engaged?

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on December 08, 2017, 12:12:44 PM
a spring washer maybe?

Wootz.

I need to fix the shaft so that it does not rotate while I tighten the nut with a wrench.

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 08, 2017, 04:01:09 PM
Sharpco,

I probably won't be able to get to my shop until Monday to look at my Tormek. In the meantime, I am unclear about your shaft/nut problem. Are the pins and sockets of the leather honing wheel engaged?

Ken

Ken.

I only put the leather wheel on Tormek when I was honing.

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on December 08, 2017, 04:30:18 PM
Sharpco,

Ken

Ken.

I think he means the pins, etc. on the shaft by the drive wheel.

Does the drive wheel spin freely when this nut is loose?  If not, couldn't you just hold it to tighten the nut?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 08, 2017, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: sharpco on December 08, 2017, 04:30:18 PM
Sharpco,

Ken

Ken.

I think he means the pins, etc. on the shaft by the drive wheel.

Does the drive wheel spin freely when this nut is loose?  If not, couldn't you just hold it to tighten the nut?

Even though the nut is loose, the machine will operate relatively normally. However, sometimes the stone is not fixed properly, and sometimes I feel a slight bump in the process of tightening it.

I didn't think that these phenomena were caused by loose nuts.

So I tightened the nut by hand.

Ken S

Sharpco,

The drive wheel is kept in place by a pin ( number 39 in this parts drawing).

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/replacement-parts-for-t-7-and-2000-all-10-systems

If this pin in not in place, the drive wheel will slip. Is your pin in place?

I almost lost my pin. I was disassembling my Tormek for cleaning and regreasing. The pin fell out and rolled on my shop floor. From then on, I put my Tormek on a towel or (better still) the Tormek rubber mat to catch any loose parts.

If this pin is missing, You can easily make a temporary pin. a metal rod or even a wooden dowel could fill in until you could obtain a replacement part. You would not have any down time this way.

Considering the cost of shipping, I would order two pins. I am suspicious. If I have a spare part on hand, I will never lose the part!

Keep us posted.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 09, 2017, 01:52:53 PM
Sharpco,

The drive wheel is kept in place by a pin ( number 39 in this parts drawing).

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/replacement-parts-for-t-7-and-2000-all-10-systems

If this pin in not in place, the drive wheel will slip. Is your pin in place?

I almost lost my pin. I was disassembling my Tormek for cleaning and regreasing. The pin fell out and rolled on my shop floor. From then on, I put my Tormek on a towel or (better still) the Tormek rubber mat to catch any loose parts.

If this pin is missing, You can easily make a temporary pin. a metal rod or even a wooden dowel could fill in until you could obtain a replacement part. You would not have any down time this way.

Considering the cost of shipping, I would order two pins. I am suspicious. If I have a spare part on hand, I will never lose the part!

Keep us posted.

Ken

Ken.

Can the pin be removed only by removing the drive wheel from the shaft? Then OK. I have never removed the drive wheel from the shaft. I just want to tighten the loose nut No.51.

Ken S

I don't think so. This is a puzzle. Have you contacted support? (support@tormek.com.se)

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 10, 2017, 03:46:34 AM
I don't think so. This is a puzzle. Have you contacted support? (support@tormek.com.se)

Ken

I agree. I think I have to contact support.

BTW, did you have to unscrew the nut 51 to remove the pin?

So how did you tighten this nut?

Ken S

I don't remember. I will disassemble my T8 next week. By the way, your photo shows the plastic EZYlock from the T4 on your T8. (They are completely interchangeable.) Just curious.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 10, 2017, 03:55:43 AM
I don't remember. I will disassemble my T8 next week. By the way, your photo shows the plastic EZYlock from the T4 on your T8. (They are completely interchangeable.) Just curious.

Ken

My machine is T8. It has steel EZYlock.  :)

Ken S

Noted. I will keep you posted.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 10, 2017, 10:29:48 AM
Noted. I will keep you posted.

Ken

I solved it myself today. While tightening the nut with a wrench, hold the drive wheel with another hand.