News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dear Santa - 2017

Started by RobinW, December 02, 2017, 11:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinW

Dear Santa

Yes it's that time again when I put up my wish for the latest  - yet to be released - Tormek offering.

This year I would like to receive a T-8½R (as illustrated  in the strictly unofficial diagram below.)

The T-8½R appears to answer many issues I have with the current model.

It has been upgraded to operate with two wheels (one can select say SG250 with an SJ250 or other combination to suit one's needs). Needless to say the bushes and shaft have been changed to suit this arrangement and the additional loads.

In conjunction with the double ended Universal Support Bar, it means that if both wheels have been trued to the same diameter, one can, without changing any setting, move the jig and tool being sharpened, from a stone at one grade to a stone at another eg one set for grinding and one for polishing.

The additional 'R' feature is the ability, at the flick of a switch, to reverse the motor direction, so one can change from grinding towards the edge to away from the edge - again without having to change the USB or other setting.

I would certainly appreciate finding one in my Christmas stocking.

Many thanks in anticipation.

cbwx34

Quote from: RobinW on December 02, 2017, 11:11:35 PM
Dear Santa

Yes it's that time again when I put up my wish for the latest  - yet to be released - Tormek offering.

This year I would like to receive a T-8½R (as illustrated  in the strictly unofficial diagram below.)

The T-8½R appears to answer many issues I have with the current model.

It has been upgraded to operate with two wheels (one can select say SG250 with an SJ250 or other combination to suit one's needs). Needless to say the bushes and shaft have been changed to suit this arrangement and the additional loads.

In conjunction with the double ended Universal Support Bar, it means that if both wheels have been trued to the same diameter, one can, without changing any setting, move the jig and tool being sharpened, from a stone at one grade to a stone at another eg one set for grinding and one for polishing.

The additional 'R' feature is the ability, at the flick of a switch, to reverse the motor direction, so one can change from grinding towards the edge to away from the edge - again without having to change the USB or other setting.

I would certainly appreciate finding one in my Christmas stocking.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Haha... that would be cool.  8)  (But I think you described an AquaHone?)...

Since realistically, the two wheels would never stay the same size?.... I'd vote for a split USB, so each side could be adjusted independently... (without having to pull it out and flip it over).

My Christmas wish is for a better knife jig... self centering, smaller pivot, maybe even a quick release.   ;)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Crusty

Hahaha
Pretty sure the "R" feature would be good for a quick wheel change  ;)
cbwx34, +1 for that knife jig

Ken S

North Pole R&D

to: Santa

re: Robin's request

Dear Santa:

Here at NPR&D we have been working on Robin's request. We suggest the T8742M. (M standing for modular) This unit accommodates four grinding wheels. Variations in wheel diameter are autocorrected by the advanced TTS-100. No split USB is necessary. Instead of a troublesome reversing switch, any or all of the bases can be rotated to function bidirectionally. Any of the modules can be interchanged, and additional modules can be added.

This unit can handle grinding wheels from 46 to 4000 grit of various materials, including CBN and diamond.

The knife jigs now consist of eight jigs, capable of handling most knives. Choosing the correct jig and shim setting assures being properly centered. The choice of six interchangeable end stops of various radaii, including flat, assures proper swing.

You did not specify cost limits, therefore, cost was not included in the design.

We trust this unit will satisfy Robin.

Sincerely,

NPR&D

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 03, 2017, 06:21:59 AM
North Pole R&D

to: Santa

re: Robin's request

Dear Santa:

Here at NPR&D we have been working on Robin's request. We suggest the T8742M. (M standing for modular) This unit accommodates four grinding wheels. Variations in wheel diameter are autocorrected by the advanced TTS-100. No split USB is necessary. Instead of a troublesome reversing switch, any or all of the bases can be rotated to function bidirectionally. Any of the modules can be interchanged, and additional modules can be added.

This unit can handle grinding wheels from 46 to 4000 grit of various materials, including CBN and diamond.

The knife jigs now consist of eight jigs, capable of handling most knives. Choosing the correct jig and shim setting assures being properly centered. The choice of six interchangeable end stops of various radaii, including flat, assures proper swing.

You did not specify cost limits, therefore, cost was not included in the design.

We trust this unit will satisfy Robin.

Sincerely,

NPR&D

About all I can say is... I'm thankful you're not really a part of Tormek's R&D team.   ;)

If you were...

The 2017 Tormek....

:o
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)