News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Why is the BGM-100 horizontal offset different than the vertical posts?

Started by turbettr, November 23, 2017, 06:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbettr

I used my SVH-320 planer jig for the first time yesterday and decided it was taking too long on the Tormek so I switched to the 220 grit diamond wheel on my grinder.  The problem I had is that the instructions for the BGM-100 horizontal mount call for it to be mounted about 1" further away from the wheel than the vertical posts on the Tormek which won't let you center the jig on the wheel.  I noticed that the BGM-100 horizontal mount on the  opposite side of the Tormek is also further away from the wheel as are the mounting holes for the Wolverine jig adapter.  Why the difference? If there is an advantage depending on the jig being used, why not make the BGM-100 with four holes so you can choose which one you want to use?

RichColvin

I have the BGM-100 also, and it is mounted per Tormek's instructions.  As when grinding in the vertical position, the BGM-100 works to have the wheel grinding towards you.

I've found it a very useful way to reshape tools when big changes are needed.  Then, when I move back to the Tormek for sharpening, the only thing I've noticed is the wheel diameter change (8" to 10").

Please post some pictures if you are experiencing issues.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

turbettr

I get what you're saying but the problem is that the side to side tool rest mounting positions are different.  When I switch from the vertical tool rest position on the Tormek to the horizontal tool rest position on the BGM-100 on my grinder the planer blade jig is no longer centered over the wheel and I'm forced to reposition the knife in the jig and adjust the stops to switch between the Tormek and the grinder.

I would have the same problem trying to switch between the vertical and horizontal mounts on Tormek because the mounting holes for the tool rest are different distances from the wheel.  My question is why the difference?  Do some jigs need to be closer or further horizontally from the wheel than others?  If so, why not just make the BGM-100 with 4 holes so it can be mounted in either position?  Or why not have 4 vertical mounts?