News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Paper Cutter Blade

Started by RickKrung, November 19, 2017, 06:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

My daughter had not been very impressed with my new sharpening machine (just another of Dad's toys), until I sharpened some scissors, a couple stamped Fiskars and a beat up old Farr that I'd used in my shop for years (even cut carborundum paper).  She used the Farr for cutting my granddaughter's hair. 

So granddaughter will be four in early Dec. and they are preparing for it (first photo) - invitations.  My daughter off handedly commented that what I needed to sharpen is the paper cutter.  I said I probably could, thinking it would be like sharpening scissors.  But, in looking at it, I'm left wondering how to go about it (see photos below).

The bevel edge has not been ground like that of scissors.  It is crudely ground and appears convex.  What I thought would be the wide flat (vertical plane as mounted in the handle) is not flat or even hollow ground.  It is angled from both edges to a low point near the center.  A sort of very shallow "V", which I'm sure is meant for clearance. 

How do I sharpen this blade?  I have thought of coloring the flat part with a black marker and laying it flat on the wheel and dragging it across to see if a very light grinding would sharpen the edge without destroying much of the clearance "V". I've also though of sharpening the bevel edge just like scissors, but what that would do is create a very sharp, slightly convex bevel.  How is that going to work in cutting paper and card stock?  Improve it or ruin the blade? 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

And there is more to it -- the lower or "fixed" blade. 

It is mounted in the paper platform and is the other blade in the shearing operation.  It has two bevels, a main one and a much thinner one right at the shearing interface (first photo).  Second photo shows the two blades as the contact at the cutting surfaces.  Third photo shows the what instructions were provided.  Nothing about sharpening.  Fourth photo shows the wear pattern on the upper/moving blade.  Faint and hard to see.  This looks like a likely place for sharpening. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jan

Rick, as far as I know, most of guillotine paper cutters have self-sharpening steel blades. Modern paper cutters have stainless blades.

I would sharpen the blades only if it is evident that it is necessary.

But of course you cannot disappoint your granddaughter! You can do some maintenance and declare that the cutter is ready.  ;)

Jan