News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather wheel problem - Peeling

Started by Sharpco, October 30, 2017, 09:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

After the compound is piled on the leather wheel, it's eventually peeled as shown in the picture. The peeled piece is like a bark. I usually sharpen the knife and apply a little pressure to the leather wheel. How can I avoid this problem?

Ken S

The photo looks like you are using too much honing compound. Try using your honing wheel for a while without adding compound. You might also try using the side of a chisel as a scraper to remove some of the xcess compound.

Ken

cbwx34

"Too much compound" is something you see a lot, even in the YouTube instructional videos.  I think the instruction steps...

• Apply a thin string of the compound before starting the machine. Rotate the wheel by hand.
  • Start the machine and distribute the compound by pressing a tool gently against the wheel. Let the compound penetrate the leather.
... are overlooked.  Also, Its why I recommended using a toothbrush in the other post.  (My teeth are really shiny too).  ;)

Another "mistake" I see in videos is applying compound before every knife/tool is honed.  One application should last for a while.
Quote from: TormekOne application lasts for about 5–10 tools.
... according to Tormek's instructions.

I'll second... scrape some of the excess off
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Thank you.

You're right. It seems to be caused by applying more PA-70 than necessary. However, even if a proper amount of compound is applied, it will eventually accumulate. If so, should I strip it off sometimes?

Ken S

Sharpco,

As I recall, you have two Tormeks. Yes? Having two Tormeks is the ideal way to work through problems like this. You will need some sharpening practice tools. My choice, as I have stated before, would be 3/4" (19mm) chisels. (I have a dozen of these. Three or four would be a good number. They are inexpensive. Stick with the Irwin brand, as described.) I know several of you prefer knives over chisels. Either way, you need some learning objects for practice.

You also need some quiet time when you are not sharpening for customers.

After you remove the excess compound on both wheels, try adding just a very small amount to one of the wheels. I like CB's toothbrush idea. Don't add any to the other wheel. Start polishing several of your practice tools. I would place simple labels on them marked "no added compound" and "added compound". Marker or ink on pieces of masking tape is fine. Do enough polishing repetitions to see the effect of not adding any compound.

I like this kind of learning because it strips away distractions. All you are looking for in this case is the effect of very little added honing compound compared with no added compound. That is how I prefer to learn, one specific skill as simplified as possible, without the distraction of having to sharpen a dozen customer knives. This might seem like wasted time, however, once you truly master each small skill, you will work more efficiently from that time forward.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on October 31, 2017, 11:54:08 AM
Sharpco,

As I recall, you have two Tormeks. Yes? Having two Tormeks is the ideal way to work through problems like this. You will need some sharpening practice tools. My choice, as I have stated before, would be 3/4" (19mm) chisels. (I have a dozen of these. Three or four would be a good number. They are inexpensive. Stick with the Irwin brand, as described.) I know several of you prefer knives over chisels. Either way, you need some learning objects for practice.

You also need some quiet time when you are not sharpening for customers.

After you remove the excess compound on both wheels, try adding just a very small amount to one of the wheels. I like CB's toothbrush idea. Don't add any to the other wheel. Start polishing several of your practice tools. I would place simple labels on them marked "no added compound" and "added compound". Marker or ink on pieces of masking tape is fine. Do enough polishing repetitions to see the effect of not adding any compound.

I like this kind of learning because it strips away distractions. All you are looking for in this case is the effect of very little added honing compound compared with no added compound. That is how I prefer to learn, one specific skill as simplified as possible, without the distraction of having to sharpen a dozen customer knives. This might seem like wasted time, however, once you truly master each small skill, you will work more efficiently from that time forward.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Ken

Thank you, Ken.

You're right. I have two Tormeks. One is in the van, and the other is in my house. So I can put two Leather wheels in one place and do a comparison test.

Today, I stripped the compound from the leather wheel before starting work. And I did not apply any more compound to honing customers' knives. Surprisingly it worked fine.

I checked how sharp the edge was after polishing and when I felt it was not sharp enough I added very few compounds.

So far, I am satisfied. However, I should be careful not to apply more than necessary compounds.

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on October 31, 2017, 03:52:05 AM
Thank you.

You're right. It seems to be caused by applying more PA-70 than necessary. However, even if a proper amount of compound is applied, it will eventually accumulate. If so, should I strip it off sometimes?

If you don't apply too much compound (or oil), the wheel will last a really long time without cleaning.  I've occasionally held a towel against mine to get some of the accumulated "black gunk" off, then add a bit of compound... but not much other than that.

Ken S

Sharpco,

We have had questions about the leather honing wheel for at least as long as I have been a forum member (2009) and probably since the forum started in 2003. Once in a while, a member says or does something which sheds light on the issue. Your question is one of those light shedding moments. If you really spend some time working with different amounts of compound with good notes, you can get us closer to a deeper understanding.

The Tormek is a versatile tool. It can serve basic sharpening needs with very little preparation. It is also capable of more in depth work in the hands of someone willing to put the effort in mastering it. You are one of those persons. As another such traveler, I know this path can be both frustrating and rewarding. Do not get discouraged. I have seen the frontiers of knowledge pushed back in the last few years. Both the Tormek and its users are evolving. Be part of the evolution.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 31, 2017, 03:05:27 PM
Quote from: sharpco on October 31, 2017, 03:52:05 AM
Thank you.

If you don't apply too much compound (or oil), the wheel will last a really long time without cleaning.  I've occasionally held a towel against mine to get some of the accumulated "black gunk" off, then add a bit of compound... but not much other than that.

Thank you for letting me know that even with the right amount of compound I sometimes need to strip it off.

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on October 31, 2017, 03:29:35 PM
Sharpco,

We have had questions about the leather honing wheel for at least as long as I have been a forum member (2009) and probably since the forum started in 2003. Once in a while, a member says or does something which sheds light on the issue. Your question is one of those light shedding moments. If you really spend some time working with different amounts of compound with good notes, you can get us closer to a deeper understanding.

The Tormek is a versatile tool. It can serve basic sharpening needs with very little preparation. It is also capable of more in depth work in the hands of someone willing to put the effort in mastering it. You are one of those persons. As another such traveler, I know this path can be both frustrating and rewarding. Do not get discouraged. I have seen the frontiers of knowledge pushed back in the last few years. Both the Tormek and its users are evolving. Be part of the evolution.

Ken

I agree.

I saw a few people who disappointed Tormek and sold it. But they did not try to understand and master Tormek and did not participate in the forum.

I am glad to be able to participate in this forum.

Thank you.

RichColvin

Youngbin,

I over-oiled my leather wheel at first and had to scrape it clean again.  It is a very resilient bugger, and has been working greatly ever since.  Don't fret :  We all have to learn.  Some of us just take longer.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

We had a member who was ready "to bin" his Tormek after one day. I thought he was very short sighted, and has moved on. I must be a slow learner. I am still learning after eight years of working with the Tormek.

Ken

wootz

The leather wheel should feel dry and sandpapery to be effective.
Dried honing paste works better than freshly applied.
Initially, one honing paste application may last for just 10 tools, but with every next application lasts for longer and longer.
Probably because more and more abrasive particles get embedded in the leather

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on November 01, 2017, 12:07:01 AM
Thank you for letting me know that even with the right amount of compound I sometimes need to strip it off.

Might just be a confusion of words, but I just clean a little off... not totally strip it.

Quote from: wootz on November 01, 2017, 06:43:26 AM
The leather wheel should feel dry and sandpapery to be effective.
Dried honing paste works better than freshly applied.
Initially, one honing paste application may last for just 10 tools, but with every next application lasts for longer and longer.
Probably because more and more abrasive particles get embedded in the leather

This is true.  Probably one of the mistakes I see a lot in videos... adding a ton of compound for every knife or tool sharpened... when they take it off, it looks like it was used to stir vanilla frosting.  :o

The compound gets finer as it is used more also.