News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

grinding wheel rotation direction using leather honing wheel

Started by Ken S, October 29, 2017, 06:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I read a disturbing post in the past day or two. The poster stated that he used the leather honing wheel moving into the tool. This is a dangerous practice both for the sharpener and the honing wheel.

The handbook is very clear on this.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 29, 2017, 06:17:54 PM
I read a disturbing post in the past day or two. The poster stated that he used the leather honing wheel moving into the tool. This is a dangerous practice both for the sharpener and the honing wheel.

The handbook is very clear on this.

Ken

I'm surprised the poster made it more than a revolution or two... without figuring out something was wrong....   :o   I wouldn't think it would last much longer than that without snagging the tool and/or cutting the leather.  ???

Good thing it turns slow!   :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Elden

The leather strip on the back of my Arkansas stone (both are mounted on a cedar board), show how easily a little deviation in the angle of attack will nibble the leather! Add power to that....... By the way, that was several years ago. While it was not impossible to do it going into the edge, it was not practical. I REPEAT THAT WAS BY HAND, NOT ON THE TORMEK.
Elden