News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US400 Extended Universal support

Started by stevebot, October 27, 2017, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

Tormek has indicated we can place a special order for the US400 but supplies are limited. I indicated I thought I could sell 10 here is Continental USA, but I would like a show of hands of those interested before I commit to ordering them. Price is not known but with special order, shipping, etc. I am guessing around $80. Reply if interested.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

cbwx34

I'm in.

For those who need more info... wootz has a picture and dimensions in this post...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2866.msg18637#msg18637
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Steve,

As per my earlier email, sign me up for one. I will let the other party contact you directly.

Ken

Ken S

The US-400 reminds me of some of the custom very small run accessories made by third parties for the Unimat, a long discontinued small machine tool. Whenever I found domething, I would purchase one. As it turns out, I have never used any of them, however, I knew that if the need occured later I would not be able to locate one.

This thinking motivated me to purchase one of the extended support bars sold by our member, Robin Bailey of the UK. My longest knife is eight inches, so I have never needed the longer length. I have used it for my intended purpose of sharpening my Chinese vegetable cleaver. It did this very well with the knife jig, just as I had hoped. The standard support bar is not high enough for this. The standard technique is to sharpen it freehand, although Herman's platform would also work well. I have also found the extended support can be used across the Tormek to provide a horizontal position grinding into the blade, just like a conventional grinder. This does not with wet grinding, however, it works well with dry grinding with CBN.

I have no immediate need for the US-400. Wootz uses several, so I want to keep learning.

Ken

Ken S

I suspect most of you do not realize that the present 140mm long knife jig was only intended by Tormek to be marketed in Europe. Steve (sharpeningmadeeasy.com) was talking with Jeff Farris many years ago. Jeff was the importer; Steve was and is a Tormek dealer. Steve convinced Jeff to ask Tormek to include the longer jig in the US market. Steve is not only an expert sharpener and teacher, he has been a very innovative Tormek dealer.

Ken

brettgrant99

I would be interested in one.  However, my funds at the moment are slightly limited, so I will need a little time to hide save up for the purchase.  Any idea on timeline?

Brett

ega

Quote from: Ken S on October 27, 2017, 06:39:57 PM
I suspect most of you do not realize that the present 140mm long knife jig was only intended by Tormek to be marketed in Europe.

I have no doubt Tormek had their reasons for this marketing decision. Some years ago there was an incident in UK politics which has become known as "the night of the long knives".

RickKrung

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

stevebot

Quote from: brettgrant99 on October 27, 2017, 06:53:27 PM
I would be interested in one.  However, my funds at the moment are slightly limited, so I will need a little time to hide save up for the purchase.  Any idea on timeline?

Brett

Allow 6 weeks for shipping from Sweden and we are talking about mid December.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Perfect. Just in time to be my Christmas present for my wife.  :)

Ken

Sharpco

Good information, Steve.

I want Tormek to produce higher and longer Universal support for Large cleaver knife or very long knife. It should be higher than US-400.

I have a higher universal support made elsewhere, but it is inconvenient because it has no threads.

Sharpco

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on October 28, 2017, 01:53:51 AM
Good information, Steve.

I want Tormek to produce higher and longer Universal support for Large cleaver knife or very long knife. It should be higher than US-400.

I have a higher universal support made elsewhere, but it is inconvenient because it has no threads.

What size is the support you had made?

Ken S

Quote from: sharpco on October 28, 2017, 01:53:51 AM
Good information, Steve.

Sharpco,

I have no inside information. Any company must be concerned about product liability, especially when its product may be used by unskilled new users. A taller USB would be convenient for such things as sharpening cleavers in skilled hands. In unskilled hands, it would also present a more obtuse angle to the grinding wheel, perhaps increasing the chance of a catch.

Any company must also consider market demand and pricing for its products. The standard USB, which is adequately sized for the vast majority of users, is included with every new Tormek. This would generate economies by the number of units produced.

The US-400 is not a new product for Tormek. It was the standard issue USB on the predecessor of the T2. When Tormek decided to manufacture a small production run, all of the designing and CAM (computer assisted machining) was already completed. This would substantially lower the consumer cost.

When Robin Bailey first designed his extended support bar, he offered to set up a small production run with his local machinist if he could secure ten orders. At the time, he only had one taker, me. Robin eventually decided to go ahead. I have no idea how many he has sold. I purchased one and like it.

Tormek must look at the project, as all projects, in economic terms. Could they produce the projected demands at a cost level to both sell and produce a reasonable business return?

If you find not having threads inconvenient, I would suggest you modify your set up technique. I hate to keep mentioning it, however using Dutchman's tables and a kenjig will eliminate the need for microadjust threads when sharpening kitchen knives, including cleavers. I have not tried it with a cleaver, however, I would expect Wootz' computer program to work very well, also.

If, for some reason, you wish to use a secondary bevel with a cleaver, Slip the collar stop from a square edge jig over one of the legs.

I use the microadjust primarily with the TT-50 truing tool and occasionally with other tools. I use the standard USB most of the time and Robin's extended support bar when needed. It's a useful accessory for the Tormek. Try using it with kenjigs.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 28, 2017, 04:57:30 PM
The US-400 is not a new product for Tormek. It was the standard issue USB on the predecessor of the T2.

Probably a typo (T2?)... but the US-400 was a standard issue USB at one time?  (Even their history page doesn't show it).