News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather wheel in cold wheater

Started by Sharpco, October 27, 2017, 01:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I've heard that the leather wheels are good for warming them before use because they don't work well at sub-zero temperatures. Is there a good way to warm leather wheels?

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on October 27, 2017, 01:45:33 AM
I've heard that the leather wheels are good for warming them before use because they don't work well at sub-zero temperatures. Is there a good way to warm leather wheels?

No idea, but where do you work at?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on October 27, 2017, 02:06:26 AM
My machine is in Van.

I mean, what part of the world?  :)

Can u use some type of heater in the van?

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 27, 2017, 02:15:11 AM
Quote from: sharpco on October 27, 2017, 02:06:26 AM
My machine is in Van.

I mean, what part of the world?  :)

Can u use some type of heater in the van?

The winter here is similar to the United States.  ;)

I can use a car heater while on the move but may need to warm up the leather wheel for the first sharpening of the day.

cbwx34

Any issues/concerns about the water stone freezing (and possibly cracking)?

(It's mentioned as in issue in the Tormek FAQ).

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 27, 2017, 03:15:13 AM
Any issues/concerns about the water stone freezing (and possibly cracking)?

(It's mentioned as in issue in the Tormek FAQ).

I know that stone can be cracked in freezing temperatures. In this case, the stone must be stored in a warm place. However, I could not find any notes on the leather wheel in the manual. The cold will not cause permanent damage to the Leather wheel, but I believe it is necessary to warm it up to work properly.

If enough time is given, it will be possible with a car heater, but I would like to prepare for when it is not.

wootz

I can tell for sure that honing compounds work better warm.
Unlike high RPM buffers, where the compound just melts on the blade, Tormek won't be honing as well in cold.

Ken S

You pose an interesting question. I do not believe anyone has asked it before, however, it certainly is a legitimate concern. Like CB, I would be concerned with the grinding wheel freezing.

The present plastic knob holding the leather honing wheel was an option when it was first introduced. At the time, Tormek briefly offered a second optional honing wheel made if rubber with embedded abrasive.The optional quick connect has replaced the standard hex nut on the larger Tormek models. I don't know if it is necessary, however, removing the leather honing wheel takes only a few seconds. I would store it where you keep your grinding wheel to keep it warm at night.

Our member, Rem, lives in the Yukon. Stig's service area includes Norway and Finland. One of the featured artists in the Tormek Friends is an ice carver. Perhaps some of our friends in colder climates will reply.

Ken

ps (later) Rem sent me a pm. He keeps his Tormek in his heated igloo (actually his house, but igloo sounds more interesting). In the past we have had posts from guys who do not leave their grindstones in unheated shops.

cbwx34

Hairdryer to warm it up?  (Only thing I can think of). :)

Stickan

Hi,
We have not tested the leather with compound to work in a cold environment.
I would assume that by the time you are sitting in a van starting to work, you would have been using the heather in the car for a while, knowing myself, I would not work in a cold car.
By that time the leather would most probably be at a better temperature.
Or since you probably need to bring the stone in, bring the leather-wheel as well.

Sincerely,
Stig