News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Better than Paper wheel or Buffing wheel?

Started by Sharpco, October 16, 2017, 10:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Do you feel that the results of Tormek's Honing wheel (PA-70) are sharper than paper wheels and buffing wheels?

wootz

They shouldn't be contraposed, the result depends.

Suppose you have set edge on 2 blades, and going to deburr and hone them:
one scores 160 BESS, i.e. has about 1.5 micron edge apex, not even shaving your forearm;
the other scores 110 BESS i.e. has a near 1 micron edge, smooth shaves with, but not against the hair grain.
These can well be chisels or knives, doesn't matter.

Suppose you have the same honing compound on the wheels:
a Tormek leather wheel, a paper wheel, and a hard-felt wheel - we use all three in our workshop.

You aim to get the both blades razor sharp.
On which wheel will you hone which blade?

Tell me your best answer - this can be solved with common sense and everyday sharpening experience - and I will tell you what an edge sharpness tester readings are for each of the wheels.

grepper

From my humble experience a 160 gf blade should shave hair.  If it's not I would suspect there is still burr.

wootz

Sure you can call it shaving, just at 160 it is "scraping shaving" - a toothy edge is capable of catching hairs on the skin, but instead of cutting them it "rips" them out of your skin

wootz

Re-phrasing your question, you could have answered it yourself.
Rate these substrates by abrasion they may cause - rub against your skin or else.
It's a common knowledge that a linen strop is more delicate than leather, and you can liken linen to paper.
Jewelers use felt over anything else for polishing their gems for a reason.

Felt is way more aggressive than leather in honing - by itself, and because it absorbs a thicker layer of honing abrasive.
Then goes leather.
The finest is the paper wheel.

An already shaving blade should not be honed on felt, I use felt for edges that score over 160 BESS.
Leather is good to start on down to 100 BESS. If an edge already gives a hair violin sign, I do not start it on leather.
Paper wheel can refine your edge to under 100 BESS, and can be used after the leather wheel.

Ken S

Sharpco