News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Mounting Laser for LOC indicator

Started by RickKrung, October 10, 2017, 10:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I just received a laser module for setting up on my T8.  For those of you that have mounted one on a Tormek, I'd like to see some pictures of how you have mounted them, please. 

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

You might post a picture or link to what you got, since there's some different types being used.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

The module is about the same diameter as the USB, 12mm. By 45mm.  Mounting the unit itself to whatever bracket or arm is not my question.  I am interested in seeing how others have mounted said bracket or arm to their machine.  Directly to the case, to the USB, etc.?  What kind of materials were used.  If the LOC location on the wheel changes, due to different bevel angles or protrusions, how is the laser adjusted?  There isn't much room down on the case near the handle for mounting to the case. Use one of the horizontal USB ports so it is easily removed when doing operations that don't require an LOC?

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Mine is mounted off the USB... not sure if it'll help since it's a different type...

... the only other setup I can think of right now, is Jan's in this post...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3338.msg20113#msg20113

... he'd have to tell you how he adjusts it. 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Quote from: RickKrung on October 11, 2017, 05:33:52 AM
If the LOC location on the wheel changes, due to different bevel angles or protrusions, how is the laser adjusted? 

Rick, the LOC line is primarily intended for free hand sharpening when the blade is kept horizontal. The picture shows how to set up the laser line for a desired bevel angle in this situation.

You can of course use the LOC for guided sharpening also. In this case the LOC coincides with the straight part of the blade. When the belly goes beyond the LOC you immediately know that you will grind smaller bevel angle here. You can try to correct this by re-mounting the blade in the knife jig, but it does not help in all cases.

Jan

P.S.: The orientation of the laser line is not too important, although radial direction is recommendable. Important is the position where the laser beam meets the grindstone.