News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather Wheel Oil of Choice?

Started by Ricko, November 14, 2018, 11:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricko

If you could clear-up some confusion on my part please regarding the specific oil of choice for leather wheels. Is it 3 in 1 oil or Mineral Oil?

Ken S

Every new Tormek comes with a small container of oil, adequate to get the leather wheel conditioned. I have conditioned several leather wheels, some with three in one, some with mineral oil. I have also heard that Vasoline works. Robert Vaughn, the machinery rebuilder, once told me that the presence of lubrication was more important than the actual type.

Ken

Ricko

Thank you Ken. I do have a new full can of 3 in 1 oil I was intending on using on whatever leather wheel I end up with. But in my reading on this forum, it seems 3 in 1 has a detrimental effect on the compound applied due to dryers within the oil?? So I certainly wouldn't want to saturate a wheel with the wrong stuff right at the get-go!

RichColvin

Rick,

Don't saturate the leather.  I made that mistake too, and had to clean it up. Waste of oil & time.

Use only what comes with the machine.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I agree; just use the small tube that Tormek includes with the machine. You will find plenty of other uses for you can in three in one, something every shop should have.

Ken