News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T-2... now avail. in the U.S.?

Started by cbwx34, August 25, 2017, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: bobl on September 14, 2017, 07:39:56 PM
Hi, its Bobl. long time no speak. Haha. I just bought the T2, silly me got it from a danish website, probs. cost more instead of a german site. I paid close on to £700 for it, where as a U.S. site , it would be $599 . My own fault.
Anyway Tormekers, I would like to ask for your help. Where can I get a spare grinding wheel, also new stropping wheel ( Which is great by the way ) . I do feel that the grinding wheel is a little too fine for my liking. What are the thoughts out there?
I have only just received the machine and have been sharpening with it today on my usual knife sharpening route.
any sharpening businesses out there that are using the T2 , please reply as to your experiences.
I am currently keeping a log as to how long the wheel will last and the volume of knives it can realistically go through, before a replacement or replated wheel needs to be used. I look forward to the replies.

I've been experimenting with the T-2 a bit, though not a sharpening business.  I would be interested in knowing how you're using it in your business, in relation to other equipment you use, etc.  While I agree it's not really designed for a sharpening service, it doesn't mean it can't be used in one, especially in relation to other procedures.

And really interested in what you find on... how long the wheel lasts, # of knives, etc.  Would be good info to have.

Thanks!! 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

bobl

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Stickan on September 14, 2017, 08:08:51 PM
Hi bobl.
The T- 2 is not the best machine for a sharpening service. Its made for the restaurant kitchen and small businesses that want an easy and good way to keep their knifes sharp.
We recommend a T-8 for everyone who has or are planning to make money with a Tormek machine.

We have a DWC-200 wheel, 320 grid instead of the 600 grid you have on the machine. Removes more steel but needs to be set up with the DWF-200 after using the coarser wheel.

Sincerely,
Stig

Just a clarifying question...

Is the DWF-200 the normal wheel that comes with the machine, or is this the leather/buffing type of wheel number?  (is there two grinding and one polishing wheel, or two of each type of wheel)

Thanks
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I have been holding off commenting about the T2. I have never used or seen one. That just changed. I received an email five minutes ago from Affinity Tool, Tormek's US agent. I will be receiving a T2 to test. After testing it, I will write up a review, as I have done for the T4 and T8. I will be interested in comparing my observations with those of cbwx34.

I'll keep you posted.

Ken

ps to SADW

I assume DWF-200 means diamond wheel fine, 200mm diameter.

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 15, 2017, 04:13:23 PM
Just a clarifying question...

Is the DWF-200 the normal wheel that comes with the machine, or is this the leather/buffing type of wheel number?  (is there two grinding and one polishing wheel, or two of each type of wheel)

Thanks

Mine came with the DWF-200, and the Specifications and all the pictures show this, so I'm assuming that's what it comes with standard.  Like Ken said, I'm thinking it means "Diamond Wheel Fine".

The honing wheel isn't leather, it's a "specially developed Composite Wheel" according to the Tormek website.  It looks/feels like a really hard rubber, (but don't know what it really is)... that requires no compound.... kinda looks like there might be some type of compound embedded in it... I haven't spent enough time on it to see if it actually polishes... but does the job of "cleaning up" the edge.

Ken S

CB,

I am an old book nut. I have at least half a dozen different editions of the handbook. The oldest is entitled, Whetstone Grinding of Edge Tools. Much of it survives as our present handbook. They are readily available as used books.

Of special note for this post is the EA-240. This was an optional extra deburring wheel to interchange with the leather honing wheel. It is listed as "a de-burring wheel with abrasives of aluminum oxide in an elastic binder." This was designed for situations where quicker de-burring was preferred over smooth surface. The EA-240 did not last long, however, the quick connect introduced with it has become standard equipment on all 250mm diameter Tormek models. (I purchased a quick connect as a spare part for my T4; I remove both the leather honing wheel and the grinding wheel often.)

The tapered shape seems logical for resturants with larger knives, especially with the smaller 200mm frame. Leather might be difficult to secure with a tapered shape, and a rubberized wheel impregnated with abrasive would eliminate the need for honing compound. The slightly more agressive abrasive would also leave an edge with some tooth, desirable for kitchen knives.

Tormek has a long heritage of working with knifemakers in Sweden. I believe Tormek would have worked with numerous chefs in designing the T2.

I have a spare leather honing wheel that I reserve for valve grinding compound. It does not leave as highly polished a surface as the Tormek honing compound. It does cut more agressively and works well for minor rust removal. I do not know the long term effects of valve grinding compound on the leather wheel, so I use separate wheels.

I have never seen an EA-240. If I find one, I will purchase it.

Ken

ps The old handbook shows the WM-100, direct ancestor of the Anglemaster WM-200. In my opinion, the new design is a giant step forward.

cbwx34

Good to know.

Would still like to see a picture of the WM-100...can't seem to find one on the internet... maybe you could snap a photo and post it?  Would like to see what the differences are... since you've mentioned it before.

Thanks!!

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, cbwx34

Thanks, that is what I figured it meant and that would be logical with Tormek.  However I know all too well that old saying about Assuming.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good point, SADW. I received word that my T2 will be shipped on Monday, so assumptions will soon become observations.

Ken

Ken S

My T2 should arrive later today. After working with it, I hope to start some discussion about diamond wheels and the rubberlike honing wheel. I also want to compare the new knife jig with our conventional knife jigs and do some side by side comparisons with (esoecially) the T4, and T7/8.

I will keep everyone posted. An interesting first for me will be having my review being a "second opinion". (CB having already posted a review) The strength of a forum is examining something with many eyes; I look forward to good dialogue.

Ken

ps to CB: I am having technical difficulties posting the early Anglemaster photos. I made them with my ipad and tried to attach them The forum program uses alt+s to attach. My screen keyboard on the ipad has no alt key. I will try using my wireless apple keyboard. It has an alt key.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 20, 2017, 11:45:24 AM
ps to CB: I am having technical difficulties posting the early Anglemaster photos. I made them with my ipad and tried to attach them The forum program uses alt+s to attach. My screen keyboard on the ipad has no alt key. I will try using my wireless apple keyboard. It has an alt key.

Ken

I've never used alt+s to attach photos.  Just click on the + sign next to "Attachments and other options, a second box will open, click on "Choose File" a box should appear at the bottom of the page screen (not page).  Click on "Photo Library".... allow access if asked, from there you should be able to find and attach the photo.

(See attached photo!)   ;D

Ken S

See attached. Your medicine is strong!
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 20, 2017, 03:13:10 PM
See attached. Your medicine is strong!
Ken

Awesome... glad it worked.

And you're right.... the WM-200... big improvement.

Thanks!