News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Sharpening Improvements... what would you like to see?

Started by cbwx34, August 17, 2017, 09:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Hi Jan,
I hastily put up my website myself using Notepad++, and know it looks like an ugly duckling.
It is pure factual. Other things keep me too busy to bother about its beautification.

We can discuss the BESS-to-apex_width correlation on www.bessex.com later on when i have a free minute.
Thanks for asking though, as it is important to get this clear because customers talk of edge in microns, not BESS yet unfortunately, and i have to speak the customers' language to be understood.

Herman Trivilino

I'd like to see Tormek make a platform jig for knife sharpening.
Origin: Big Bang

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on August 21, 2017, 05:38:49 AM
I'd like to see Tormek make a platform jig for knife sharpening.

I agree... and would add that a moveable "blade stop" could be added to the platform, that could be moved up behind the spine of the blade.  This would help control the blade... especially grinding into the bevel, it would prevent the blade from being "pushed back".
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SharpenADullWitt

Make the stone grader part of the package.  (do you need to sharpen, or grind out chips?)
Include shims or a new jig to deal with non parallel side blades.
Sometimes I wish the leather wheel was further out (ever hit the tip of a newly sharpened knife, back on the grinding wheel when buffing?).
A platform, for when the small knife jig, isn't appropriate.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 25, 2017, 09:16:39 AM
Make the stone grader part of the package.  (do you need to sharpen, or grind out chips?)
Include shims or a new jig to deal with non parallel side blades.
Sometimes I wish the leather wheel was further out (ever hit the tip of a newly sharpened knife, back on the grinding wheel when buffing?).
A platform, for when the small knife jig, isn't appropriate.

Thanks for the response.

Not sure if it always was... but the stone grader is now part of the package.

I would rather see a new jig vs. shims.  And it would be nice to see an accessory that would extend the leather wheel position farther out (so you also wouldn't have to remove it while sharpening).

Good ideas!  Thanks!

SharpenADullWitt

I think I said the wrong thing then.  (falling asleep writing that, been working extra)
The truing tool.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 25, 2017, 03:13:31 PM
I think I said the wrong thing then.  (falling asleep writing that, been working extra)
The truing tool.

Ah.   It also now comes with the T-8.   ;)

Ken S

Perhaps we should restate the question to read, how many would like to see improvements to the knife sharpening jigs, and be willing to pay twice as much for the jigs?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 25, 2017, 08:14:11 PM
Perhaps we should restate the question to read, how many would like to see improvements to the knife sharpening jigs, and be willing to pay twice as much for the jigs?

Ken

Hey Ken:

Not sure why you're fixated on a redesign of the knife jig being such a high cost?  I don't think a redesign of the collar, and/or a self centering clamp, would be a major increase in price.  Both are available on other sharpening systems... and I think it could fall well within the current price range, since it's more of a change to the current model... not a total change to the clamp setup itself.

True, you could make a clamp as detailed as some of the other clamps (the drill bit jig comes to mind)... but not really asking for that here.  :)

wootz

The Universal Support play in the sleeves haunts all models.
For example, the horizontal base on T7 has no play, so it is doable.
I hoped in vain the T8 cast top & sleeves would fix it, nope.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on August 25, 2017, 08:14:11 PM

Ken

You know how the old method of using square pieces of wood to set the turning jigs worked.  Well I don't see the jigs really having to be expensive as a simple piece of plastic to use to space something like the T2's jig, so it would mount in the same relation to the machine as the stone wears.  This would't be that expensive of a jig and for actual places that do nothing but knifes, the T2 would be the thing with the non wearing wheel.
8)