News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jig storage: here's my solution, what's yours?

Started by Kavik, August 07, 2017, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kavik

Just curious how others store all their jigs and accessories?
I'm a bit restricted in that I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and don't really have a dedicated spot for the grinder where I could build a stand that also holds all the extras, so i went with this 18x13x6 aluminum case with foam insert

Works well, and is sturdy enough to leave the grinder sitting on top of the case on the shelf when not in use.

Please see attachment: still have plenty of space for additional jigs down the road, but for now i just keep my user's manual in the big empty spot.
Clockwise from bottom left:
-scissor jig
-markers
-square edge jig
-truing tool
-grading stone and honing  compound (stone is always left out to dry out before putting away)
-tool rest
-short tool jig
-turning tool jig
-multi-tool jig
-3 knife jigs (45, 100, 140)

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Kavik

Thanks cbwx  :)
I like yours too, as a stationary unit.
I don't know if you ever travel with yours, but I've seen similar foam inserts you can buy for drawers that could keep your stuff from shifting around if you do

I forgot to mention, aside from my storage restrictions i also kinda wanted something easily portable for certain circumstances. For example, i do Leatherwork as a hobby, but also to help a friend who is trying to do it as a business... It'll be much easier for me to bring my grinder and this case to him, rather than bringing all our tools back here... At least for the initial sharpening of everything once

cbwx34

Quote from: Kavik on August 07, 2017, 06:30:13 PM
Thanks cbwx  :)
I like yours too, as a stationary unit.
I don't know if you ever travel with yours, but I've seen similar foam inserts you can buy for drawers that could keep your stuff from shifting around if you do

The toolbox is 20"x12"x8.5"... so it's portable... (close to the same size as yours).

I put in "non-skid" drawer liner... so things don't move around.

Kavik

Ahhhh, cool. I couldn't tell there was non skid liner in the pic, good solution

Airplanedoc

I picked up a 4 drawer roll away tool chest, with a top box for $129 in a closeout deal at my local Menards ( a regional Lowes, Home Despot etc.) I use the lower for my tormek, and store the jigs, files, hones, stones, 4" grinder, etc in it. Items that I use frequently are in the top drawer, then as you move down larger items and less used.   I also found that a full sheet pan fits almost perfectly on top which catches any drips, spills and so forth and is easier to clean than the tool box top.  A roll of paper towel also fits nicely on the handle.   It is about 1-2 inches taller than the tormek work station which works great for me as I am 6'2" so many universal fit options are just a touch too short for my back.  The top box I put on my reloading bench and filled with reloading items.   So I killed 2 birds with one stone.

Kavik

Nice doc, always great when one solution covers two bases.  And i like the idea of the sheet pan drip tray to top it off
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal there too

Ken S

I use a combination of a Tormek work station, cardboard boxes, and a Brunswick single size bowling ball bag. I like the work station, however, for me, the work station holds only some of the Tormek stuff I have accumulated. The foam inserts are OK if you have only one of each jig. I often have several for different projects.

The cardboard boxes actually work fairly well in a low tech way.

The bowling bag, in my opinion, is the ideal way to transport a T4 with everything you need. It has a hand grip and a shoulder strap. It only cost $32 US.

My .02

Ken

Kavik

Nice, I like the idea of having a bag to move the grinder itself in. Though I'm guessing that wouldn't work as well on the larger machines

Herman Trivilino

Kavik, I have a dedicated homemade Tormek station. It's a scrap piece of 3/4-inch plywood that's 32 inches wide by 21 inches deep, mounted on the wall of my garage at a height of just 33 inches. It has a scrap piece of vinyl flooring covering the surface. Some of the jigs hang on the wall behind the station and some are in a shallow wooden box on top of the station.

You want that low height for comfort, and good lighting is a must. I also have a lighted magnifier mounted above the work station, and 40X dissecting microscope nearby which I no longer use very much. At one point, though, that microscope was a valuable tool in my sharpening education. It is still useful when I encounter unfamiliar sharpening situations.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Good post, Herman. A very practical working setup.

Ken

Kavik

Yeah, sounds like another great setup for a stationary setup  :)

Jan

Kavik, I like your jig organiser also.  :)

The only think I am wondering about is whether it is good to disassemble the adjustable stop of the knife jig after each use. For newer knife jigs with the rubber O-ring it would not be suitable.

Jan

Ken S

Kavik,

This seems like a workable solution for a small space. It could not only be a goid work stand for your Tormek, it could be a very compact, portable multipurpose table.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32759&cat=46158,42665&ap=1

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 08, 2017, 03:02:05 PM
Kavik,

This seems like a workable solution for a small space. It could not only be a goid work stand for your Tormek, it could be a very compact, portable multipurpose table.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32759&cat=46158,42665&ap=1

Ken

I've tried a folding table like that... not really sturdy enough IMO.  (Machine makes them 'top heavy').

Edit to add:  If you're looking for a small portable table, this one (attached picture) isn't too bad... it 20"x30", height adjusts from 21-28", and is fairly stable.  (Personally though, I like the 4ft. portable tables better).