News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jig storage: here's my solution, what's yours?

Started by Kavik, August 07, 2017, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I have a basement workshop, and I am a big believer in 5S (i.e., keeping the tools where you need them, and keeping the space neat and tidy).  Thusly, I keep the Tormek jigs out where they can be grabbed easily for use. 

Here is my sharpening station :

You may notice that I've labelled where each jig or accessory goes.  That is to be sure they go back to the right place after use.  Also, when my father passed on, I had quite the task to figure out what some of his tools were (and I had his brother to help me).  So I'm saving my sons that effort, but hopefully that is 30-40 years from now.

There is a spray bottle of camilla oil I keep on the left side of the bottom shelf (the one with Japanese text on it, beside the Wahl oil).  It is quite useful for protecting tools that get sharpened and put away for a while (e.g., utility chisels).

I keep the manuals available, and have to refer to them when doing something I've not done for a while.

Oh, and you may also see the gun cleaning rod and wire brush (the T-handled tool hanging just above the black grinder).  That idea came from the AAW forum where it was recommended as a way for cleaning the flute on gouges, particularly bowl gouges.  It is a great approach, and keeps my hands away from the cutting edge.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Kavik

Quote from: Jan on August 08, 2017, 11:13:07 AM
Kavik, I like your jig organiser also.  :)

The only think I am wondering about is whether it is good to disassemble the adjustable stop of the knife jig after each use. For newer knife jigs with the rubber O-ring it would not be suitable.

Jan

Thanks Jan.  Interesting question... I was originally going to keep them assembled, but this way took up a LOT less space. That said, these are old jigs, no o-rings. And honestly, I don't anticipate using the knife jigs all that often, for me this is more for chisels, planes, and turning tools. That may change eventually, but i can always redo the layout with a new foam insert if it becomes a problem

Thanks for the ideas on the portable work surfaces guys. I have a couple different areas in my office that are different heights that I can use though when I pull this out, and just put down a drop cloth to deal with any water or gunk from the stropping wheel. To be honest, to start with I've just been sitting at my couch with the grinder on my coffee table (because I'm single and don't have carpeting in the living room lol) and it works comfortably when using the front support bar with the wheel turning away from the tool. Awkward though if trying to use it in the other direction.

Quote from: RichColvin on August 08, 2017, 04:39:42 PM
I have a basement workshop, and I am a big believer in 5S (i.e., keeping the tools where you need them, and keeping the space neat and tidy).  Thusly, I keep the Tormek jigs out where they can be grabbed easily for use
Rich,
Great setup, and i love the magnifying ring light, i gotta get one of those one of these days.
Once I buy a house, the first major project will be making a shop area where everything can be organized like you said; easy to access and every tool and accessory having a specific home.
And thanks for pointing out the gun cleaning rod, that's a great tip!!

Jan

Thanks for sharing your setup solution, Rich.
I was pleased to see the TTS setter modified for knives among your jigs.  ;)

Jan

Airplanedoc

Quote from: RichColvin on August 08, 2017, 04:39:42 PM

You may notice that I've labelled where each jig or accessory goes.  That is to be sure they go back to the right place after use.  Also, when my father passed on, I had quite the task to figure out what some of his tools were (and I had his brother to help me).  So I'm saving my sons that effort, but hopefully that is 30-40 years from now.

More important than identifying the tools, make sure they know how to use them.    Younger people knowing how to use tools seems to be a dying art these days.

RichColvin

Quote from: Jan on August 08, 2017, 06:10:46 PMI was pleased to see the TTS setter modified for knives among your jigs.

That's my HanJig, serial number 1 !!

Here is the link to the messages where it is outlined https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2639.msg16563#msg16563.
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Kavik

Quote from: Jan on August 08, 2017, 06:10:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your setup solution, Rich.
I was pleased to see the TTS setter modified for knives among your jigs.  ;)

Jan

Oh man, this post sent me down a whole rabbit hole of searching and reading!
Very interesting topic that will get much more research from me when I have more time  :D

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on August 08, 2017, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: Jan on August 08, 2017, 06:10:46 PMI was pleased to see the TTS setter modified for knives among your jigs.

That's my HanJig, serial number 1 !!

It appears your knife jigs have been modified too?  Any more info on that?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Wootz recommends the use of collars (see also, https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3050.msg16671#msg16671 ). 

I just keep them on the jigs.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

I have been in Rich's shop. His set up is very efficient and well designed.

Kavik, your living room set up works best for the unmarried. Should you ever consider matrimony, investing in a Tormek rubber work mat may be a key decision for your wedded bliss. The work mat is rather expensive, however, I can tell you from personal experience that it is very well made and really keeps the work environment dryer and cleaner. For any mobile sharpener setting up in a customer's restaurant or kitehen, the rubber mat is also a great PR tool.

I like Rich's idea of the handy bottle of camilla oil.

Using a kenjig, I rarely have to readjust my knife jigs. At the end of a sharpening session, I just put them away. They remain set for the next session.

Ken

Kavik

Lol yeah, Bachelorhood may have meant down sides, but it has its perks too  :P

For the mat; I'm going to go digging around at home before I sharpen next time. I have so many big shallow pans/bins, pretty sure I have something that could serve the same purpose for free :)

Camilla oil is already in my repertoire as well  :)
Though mine doesn't have a spray, I just wipe it on.
For longer term storage (or collectables, like some razors that are beyond use at this point) I also keep a tin of renaissance wax on hand

I do have a question for you regarding the adjustable base on the knife jigs, and your measurements for your setups.... But i want to finish reading through all that and make sure i understand things correctly before getting into all that

Hatchcanyon

This is my solution:

The stone is no longer stored on the wall - see next picture!

For stones:

Below is an old small cat litter tray.

Parking position for the Stone Grader while working

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

cbwx34

Hatchcanyon.... very nice, and some good ideas.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hatchcanyon

Thanks!

The stone tray was photographed on top of my workbench. In real life it is sitting on the shop floor.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

RichColvin

Rolf,

I'd forgotten that you put your jigs on wooden posts where it makes sense.  That's a great idea that I will look to incorporate.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Rolf,

Very clever and meticulous shop organization. Impressive!

Ken

PS Rich, Hanjig #1 is certainly the Gold Standard of kenjigs!