News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jigs

Started by Flame, July 26, 2017, 01:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flame

Hi all, just joined the forum, could anyone  tell me if the jigs fit all models.  Bill.

RichColvin

Yes, Bill, they do !

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Flame

Thanks for that Rich.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Bill.

As Rich said, all jigs fit all models. The reverse is also true; all models fit all jigs. Some judgement should be applied. While an older SuperGrind can be fitted (at extra cost) with the latest stainless EZYlock shaft, universal support, and water trough, or used quite nicely as is, some of the older jigs really are obsolete. The newer square edge jigs are much improved. The newer TT-50 truing tool is, in my opinion, essential. The new SVD-186 gouge is far superior to its predecessor, the SVD-185, which was the state of the art at the time.

If, by chance, you are looking to purchase an older model, pay particular attention to price. Priced right, older Tormeks may represent a lot of tool at a bargain price. As the price approaches the cost of a new unit, I would heavily factor in the value of Tormek's seven year warranty. Please feel free to post questions. You are among friends.

Ken

Flame

Thanks for the info Ken. I will be buying a new one, just deciding which one to t4 or t8, hence my question re jigs. Have a  number of jigs I have been given which are now.

Flame

Sorry it was meant to say the jigs are new.

Herman Trivilino

Unless the lighter weight and smaller size of the T4 are an advantage for you, get the T8.
Origin: Big Bang

RichColvin

I definitely agree.  One of the wheels, I believe it is the Japanese water stone, isn't available on the T4.

The T8 is a nice machine !

Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

The Japanese stone is available for the T-4... the SiC Blackstone is not (yet). 😊

While size/weight is a factor, I think "how much" sharpening is an important factor... for example the "continuous motor" on the T-8.  And of course budget plays a factor, although the T-4 seems pretty solid for being the less expensive choice, there's advantages to the larger machine.

One point that I would be curious about, that maybe someone can answer that's used both, is the accuracy of the setup between the two... particularly on woodworking tools that seem to require it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

A few thoughts on the T4: The standard grinding wheel supplied with the T4 is the SG-200. The 200 stands for the new diameter, 200mm. The standard grinding wheel for the T8 is the SG-250, with a 250mm diameter. (I believe the SG is for SuperGrind, the manmade stone as opposed to the original single finer grit natural stone.) Tormek also makes the 4000 grit SJ-200 grinding wheel for the T4. I have an SJ-250 wheel for my larger Tormeks, however, I hardly ever use it, and have not purchased the smaller SJ-200.

Tormek does not sell the blackstone (SB-250) in the 200mm size. I would be surprised if it is ever offered.

I do not see any difference in the set up accuracy between the models. Theoretically, the machined zinc top and sleeves of the T4 should be more accurate than the older design on the T7. This same machined zinc top technology is now part of the T8. Frankly, I would not worry about it.

I would also not worry about "continuous duty" with the T4 motor. That is a holdover from the old T3. The T3 housing, being all plastic, would hold in the motor heat, sometimes causing part of the housing to melt. The new zinc top of the T4 acts as a radiator, eliminating the problem. The problem never was the motor itself. I wish Tormek would not continue the motor duty nonsense. Although the T4 motor is technically not continuous duty, the operator (you) will tire long before the motor.

Forget comparing price. When you add in the TT-50 truing tool and the SE-77 not supplied with the T4, the price is essentially equal. What you should consider is the use. If you leave the Tormek in place, as in a larger shop, the T8 is the logical choice. If your use is highly mobile or you do not have a permanent place in your shop, consider the T8.

There is no bad choice;either model is a Tormek. Depending on your use, one or the other may be a better choice.

Incidentally, the smaller diameter and slightly higher motor RPM essentially cancel each other out. The surface feet per minute is almost the same. The larger wheel will last longer than the smaller wheel. It also costs more to replace. To me, that's a wash, also.

In the end, especially for younger users, I would probably lean toward the T8, although not by much.

Ken

cbwx34

Interesting info about the "continuous duty".  Thanks.

Any reason why the SiC Blackstone wouldn't make it to the T-4?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Just my personal opinion......
I think Tormek considers the flagship T8 the "professional" (heavy duty) model, and the blackstone the "heavy duty" grinding wheel for harder steels. I see no reason other than marketing preference not to make the blackstone for the T4.

I use a 180 grit CBN wheel with my T4 for heavy grinding. It does a very credible job of reshaping high speed steel turning tools. I have not sharpened planer blades, although I am confident the T4 and CBN would handle the job.

Ken

RichColvin

The comment by cbwx34 is worth noting.  I switched from the SG stone to the SB stone as I sharpen a lot of turning tools and most of them are HSS.  I also find it works well for the other metals I sharpen.

So, to me, not being able to use the SB stone is a sure reason to use the bigger machine.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Good point, Rich. I know the SB-250 works well for people I respect like you and a few others. I have not had that positive experience with it. I suspect operator error, and am hoping that Tormek will do a good video on using it when the new studio is ready this fall.

CB, please remember when reading my thoughts on the T4 that I am 67 and planning eventually to move to smaller senoir quarters. I am hoping to have enough shop space for a simple one Tormek set up, down from three. At present, multiple Tormeks are a real luxury, and I do really like the T8. For a younger person with some space in a shop area, the T8 is a fine choice. I could be quite happy with a venerable SuperGrind, like Rich uses. (We live in the same area, and I have visited him in his shop.) For someone purchasing a first Tormek, I think it makes sense to start with the the latest technology.

You won't go wrong with either choice. You might even decide you "need" both. :)

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on July 27, 2017, 04:08:59 AM
You won't go wrong with either choice. You might even decide you "need" both. :)

Ken
Among my many inimitable sayings is another one appropo to this. If all we ever bought was "needs", then there would be no joy as "wants" is what makes  you happy.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.