News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can't upload pics

Started by bisonbladesharpening, June 23, 2017, 02:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisonbladesharpening

Just looking for suggestion to reduce file size of pics.
Your upload limit is pretty limited even for one pic.

Ken S

I agree, and am having the same problems. In my case, I think changing my camera setup will help. I routinely shoot in large, fine JPEG full frame with a 24mp camera (RAW for personal work). That's a real handicap for sizing.

My next attempt will be using the small JPEG setting. I thought I would be slick and download the SD card directly to my ipad. That's a no go; the ipad version of my photoediting program does not have the dimension sizing tool. So, I will try loading the SD card onto my computer.

The forum default photo option was only turned on quite recently. I wish I could be more help.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

There is software (both open source and some of the closed source stuff that comes with your devices) that allows you to shrink an image.  Normally, if you have it, it is a right click away (hover over image).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

Image file uploads directly to this web site are limited to:
4 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB

That's pretty limiting.  You will not be able to take pictures directly from your camera no matter what the in camera settings are.  You will need to scale the image files to smaller dimensions in an image editing program.  If you search around there are free ones, but you could use Photoshop or whatever image editor you might have.

Most image editors have the ability to scale images by defining just one dimension, say the width, and the height will be automatically calculated for you.  There may be a setting to Keep Aspect Ratio or something similar.

Try scaling to 400 wide, (horizontal pixels), then save a JPG and see what the file size it.  640 x whatever is about as big as you ever need have on the forum to fit nicely in a post.

But, there is another way to post images, and that is to have them on Photobucket or some other hosting service such as Flickr etc., and then linking to them in your post.  I explain it in this post:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2342.msg11402#msg11402

Herman Trivilino

Be aware, though, that high resolution photos will often be larger than the screen we view them on. This is why I scale them down, so that when people read my posts the images within will hopefully display correctly on their device.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Good news!

I contacted Tormek IT in Sweden and explained our frustration with the photo size limitation.

Here is the reply fron Sweden:

"I agree. The limit is a little tight. I have upped the maximum attachment size to 250 kB and the max size per post to 1 MB (250 x 4)."

I have used this size elsewhere, and have been very satisfied with both the processing and the image quality. I use a 24mp full frame camera. Setting the camera to small image size JPEG, ."fine" (the lowest compression), I get a 6mp image. I happen to use Adobe Lightroom for processing, although I believe most editing programs have similar features. I click on export, limit the long dimension to between 240 and 250 kB and send it to the desktop. (I use the full frame setting with this. I am not sure how the smaller format DX size would work. I think the same setting would work.) This produced an image on the forum with very adequate detail.

Thanks, Sweden. :)

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

Thanks for the response.  Installed the Sony software that came with camera
and got the file sizes down.  600x800 seams to work well

Ken S

Good job! The forum began in 2003. I wonder if including photos was part of the original plan. I think photos add a lot to some of the posts, and am glad you have found a successful path.
Keep posting.
Ken