News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

hollow grinding revisited

Started by Ken S, June 07, 2017, 04:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I've not thought of including a microscope into my sharpening routine.  Sounds like a worthwhile idea.

Question :  what magnification should I buy ?
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RichColvin

Quote from: Ken S on July 05, 2017, 01:53:59 PMRich Colvin is compiling a sharpening handbook which will be a vsluable reference. Pairing this tablet and reference with a USB microscope would be a powerful and efficient combination.

Hey, if you get some great pictures, I will be happy to incorporate them into the online reference guide (www.SharpeningHandbook.info).

I've already gotten feedback from one person regarding the sharpening of the Termite End Grain Tool, and it has been incorporated.

That is the idea :  to capture the wisdom of those who do the work and pull it together in one place, providing it to all for free.  I am not seeking funding or advertisers; rather I am funding this myself.  That way it is simply a good reference tool.  Nothing more; nothing less.

I know there are many sages on this site, and would love to incorporate their wisdom.  If you would rather send it via eMail, a link is on the site for that purpose.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

grepper

Quote from: RichColvin on July 05, 2017, 11:52:34 PM
I've not thought of including a microscope into my sharpening routine.  Sounds like a worthwhile idea.

Question :  what magnification should I buy ?

I have a 200 X optical magnification USB microscope that I have found works well.  Look for the optical magnification spec. Ignore the digital magnification stuff.  It's meaningless. 

Here's a link to some images that I've taken with the microscope:
http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=68&pid=510#pid510

Ken S

Rich and Grepper,

My Celestron 5mp Pro USB microscope arrived yesterday. At this point, I have all the expertise and experience with it as the guys who shoot videos of their first unboxing of the Tormek. However, I would like to mention that after researching the issue, I don't think these things work with tablets. The software program works with Mac OS or Windows. I have not found a version for Ios or Android. That seems really unfortunate to me; tablet use would be a great match for students (and sharpeners).

I have a learning curve to work through before I become fluent with the process. I loaded the software on my laptop;it seems to work fine. Having switched to Mac nine years ago, I no longer have a clue about Windows. I downloaded the instruction manual on my ipad in ibooks, which I recommend doing. Being able to read the manual or search with the ipad while using the program on another computer is really convenient. The manual suggests saving the operating software on the desktop for quicker access.

Copying the digital photos from the macbook to the ipadshould not be a problem, wirelessly or perhaps wired.

The included software can do lots of tricks, which I will learn someday. The adding text and drawing features look promising for forum photos. For the present, I will concentrate on my hit or miss focusing technique.

Rich, I think well done photos from these microscopes would be an excellent inclusion for your handbook. At one point in the last millenium I knew the difference between microphotography and photomicrography.

These little microscopes are inexpensive (under a hundred dollars US). Kids know how to use them intuitively; seniors take a little more effort.

Sadly, I doubt my old faithful Micro Nikor 105mm set up will get much use with edge photos in the future, and the really nice PB6 bellows I recently purchased used may never get used. That's progress.

Ken

ps If anyone knows how to use these microscopes with an ipad, please post.

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, the big issue with a USB microscope and a tablet is POWER.
I would recommend a powered hub, which you could then both charge your tablet from, or from a different usb port, control what is plugged into it.
The software that comes for things like this, is basically dummy software (allows use from the get go).  These should be like a usb camera, and allow streaming without the software.  (can find video's of microscopes and tablets on Youtube, but different languages, and I have neither to play/learn from)
Things like browsers, and players like VLC should be able to stream and even capture images from them.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Interesting and informative post, SADW. Apple sells several different adaptor cords with their lightning connection (the new Apple charging port for the ipad) and various other ends (SD, UBS, Video, etc) on the other end. I have used the SD adaptor with good results. Among the collection is an adaptor with both a USB connection and another lightning port to provide power. I would think that would cover the power issue.

I do not understand the possible software issue. The ipad imports photos and video directly from its camera. In my case, I can use my Macbook and transfer microscope photos. It would be convenient enough for schools and other uses to be able to bypass the laptop. It seems strange to me that someone has not figured out how to do that.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I don't have a Mac or know its software, so I have no way of knowing how to adjust settings.  (why I say issues, in case there is other id hardware for their software, in the way they have hard drives)
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

This reply may surprise you. I was a die hard Mac fanatic for years. I have used several Macs over the years and, despite some MacQuirks, have been very satisfied. In fairness to Windows PCs, I must admit that much of my prejudice stems from having several PCs with not enough hard drive and memory when Microsoft decided that larger operating systems were "better". I learned this lesson and have overbuilt with Mac, with good results.

Two things have given me pause with my MacFanaticism:

First, a friend showed me his basic Chromebook. I was impressed with the amount of firepower the Chromebook had for very little money.

Second: My grandson bought a Raspberry Pi. (actually two, a Pi 3 and a tiny Pi 0) These little things are amazing. The basic zero model costs only ten dollars. Kids (even older adults) can assemble components as needed. They are incredibly inexpensive. For basic email, web surfing, and even things like basic forum photography (including an 8mp camera!) the provide yoeman service.

I think I could get by nicely with a Radpberry Pi, with the MacbookPro for its intended purpose, replacing my darkroom. Check out the Raspberry Pi. They are inexpensive, versatile, and fun!

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

This is funny :  I have an unused Raspberry Pi 3 that I was just recently thinking of setting up in my shop.  The Raspberry Pi runs a variation of BSD Linux (called Raspbian, if I remember correctly). 

But what is equally a good solution in this realm is LinuxCNC.  This runs on really old PCs and is easier to manage & maintain.  Response times are similar from what I've experienced.  And LinuxCNC is also a variant of BSD Linux.

So the question truly is :  does the scope software run on Linux.  If so, this would be a REALLY cheap solution!

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

SharpenADullWitt

The only Mac I know I might have access to, is the first Bondi Blue mac, sitting in a closet, that was sent to a friends company, after they shut down their mac clone production (one of three authorized companies that Apple then shutdown, remember that?).
I have a couple Windows machines; one for gaming, and one for some work stuff (low powered laptop/netbook thing for special text files).  Otherwise my choice OS is Linux (and I own SEVERAL Raspberry PI's).
Raspbian is based on Debian Linux, and Linux is a kernel that with other pieces is a sister os to, and developed because of the whole Unix/BSD license and lawsuit.  Linux and BSD are not the same.
The software written for Windows will not by default run on Linux.  There are some emulators, but they are problematic, and typically require more horsepower then something like a PI will give.
8)

RichColvin

SADW,

Have you tried LinuxCNC ?

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

SharpenADullWitt

No, WAY way way, too many other projects.
At this point, I probably have 10 years worth as is.
8)

Ken S

"The lyfe so short, the craft so hard to learn".

I agree, SADW. I have had an ongoing program of self study in sharpening for many years, with much still to learn. Add to that trying to increase my knowledge of digital photography and computer skills, including now video. And the forum. This all must fit in the context of being a husband and caregiver to two grandchildren, and very active in their school.

At sixty seven, I still have fond hope of rereading Don Quixote in Spanish in my mature years. I have missed the "at fifty" target. I would like to learn other computer languages, but when?

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 06, 2017, 10:50:18 PM
I do not understand the possible software issue. The ipad imports photos and video directly from its camera. In my case, I can use my Macbook and transfer microscope photos. It would be convenient enough for schools and other uses to be able to bypass the laptop. It seems strange to me that someone has not figured out how to do that.

I think what SADW is telling you is that it may so simple as to not need documentation. You just connect the scope to the tablet. A bit of video player software, something plain vanilla like VLC, and you're done.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Interesting thought, Herman. I may be overthinking this. I just placed an order for a USB-Lightning adaptor for my ipad. Sometimes the next logical step is just to try it. :)

Ken