News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

honing oil

Started by Tim N, January 19, 2004, 07:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim N

Any recommendations as to what oil to use on the leather honing wheel at startup. I don't really know much about machine oils. ???

Jeff Farris

Mineral oil from the drug store is best.
Jeff Farris

Panman

How much oil do I use in oiling the leather?  I have oiled it with light machine oil but not sure I have enough.  I would guess I have used maybe a tablespoonfull for the whole wheel.   HELP

Jeff Farris

That's plenty. The concept is to fill up the leather a little so that it does not absorb quite so much honing compound.
Jeff Farris

albokap

I just started using my T-7 just a few weeks ago.  The closet thing to machine oil I had at the time was gun oil.  It seemed to work good.  Not sure how this will affect the leather wheel.   

Herman Trivilino

Just don't add any more.  Oiling the honing wheel is a one-time only affair.  I learned that the hard way.
Origin: Big Bang

giff

Just looked at Jeff's very useful video on the honing wheel and solved a  long time question that I have been pondering since childhood, here in the UK.
" What was Yogi Bear saying  ? " Well now I know...." just a dab'll do !" Yogi must have been a Tormek user as well.  :) Thanks for all the helpful videos Jeff..  Geoff (UK)

Stallingsw

Allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Bill Stallings.  I am located in Atlanta GA. USA.
I just discovered this forum and was looking for information about the honing wheel.  i had put oil on it and  compound and then had been unable to use it for a few months.  Today i was sharpening some of my wife's carving tools and i found the wheel very dry.  Unfortunately I decided I should re-oil it.  :-[

I am wondering if there is anyway to clean the wheel and start again. Any input would be appreciated

Jeff Farris

Don't worry about it.  Just use compound and keep going.
Jeff Farris