News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New member, old owner

Started by Dakotapix, July 12, 2012, 10:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

If you grind just once or twice a week, and you are concerned about the effect on the drain, why not just dump it in the big trash can.  The garbage collector probably won't mind a little bit of water with the trash. 

I suppose you can't do it if you are ultra clean and your garbage contains only neatly bagged garbage.  My garbage can is a combo of neatly bagged stuff and loose stuff.   A little bit of water won't hurt anything.  I throw out a lot of trash - but maybe because I have kids.

Dakotapix

Got the revolving base today. Ordered it via Amazon on last Thursday, and it was shipped from a third-party vendor. Terrific service I thought. This device should save me from a lot of aches and pains.

I should get the stainless replacement shaft tomorrow. Hope I don't have any trouble getting the old one off. On another wood working forum someone broke a stone trying to get the original corroded shaft off a 2000.

Herman Trivilino

Jeff says that a good application of the fine side of the stone grader should make the stone feel smooth as glass.   I can never get mine that smooth, which is probably why I can never get that truly fine edge on my chisels and plane irons.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

As to the honing wheel, for years I had mine saturated with too much oil.  It needs to be dry to really cut smoothly into the steel.
Origin: Big Bang

Dakotapix

Got the new shaft replaced today with little trouble. The old green 2000 is configured a bit differently from the T-7 shown in the Tormek video but I finally figured things out. I decided not to replace the bearings because all seems tight with the new shaft. The original shaft was not corroded at all but I'm glad it's done.

I trued up the wheel again with the new truing jig and think I finally got it right. One of the reasons I stopped using the Tormek was because some of my plane irons were coming out way off the 90 degrees I wanted. The original truing jig left a lot to be desired. My latest efforts have been close to right on the mark and I still have about 9 3/8 diameter on the wheel. I'm also a wood turner but have decided to stay with my dry grinder along with the Oneway Wolverine jig for those tools, which are all high speed or harder steel.

Mike Fairleigh

I think it's easy to get a blade, especially a wide one such as a plane iron, ground out of 90*, even with a perfectly true wheel.  Maybe it's my inexperience, but I've found that checking my work often with a small square is critical to good results.  You can't just flail away at it and have it come out perfect, you have to constantly read your progress on the iron.  I'm finding that it can even be helpful to "read" the way the water flows around the blade as I'm grinding in order to know where I'm removing the most material.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln