News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New to Tormek

Started by RTaylor, April 10, 2017, 12:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTaylor

Hello Everyone,

I don't know how this works but I'll just give it a shot. My name is Russell and I live in Corpus Christi Texas. I grew up in Wiggins Mississippi lived in Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina at times as an adult. I'm a international oilfield worker working 28/28 in the North Sea. I am also a resident of Denmark and currently in Esbjerg. I have been researching the Tormek for over a year. I just like many also looked into competitor machines and kept coming back to the Tormek time and time again. Everything I read about them is positive and last night I pulled the trigger. I purchased a T8 W/ the ultimate plus bundle. It should arrive at my house in TX sometime this week. I'm a capable guy and sure I'll pick it pretty quick. I've always just used a standard wet stone and steel to sharpen my knives. This is the way I was taught as a kid sharpening my pocket knives. It works and gets them sharp but wanted something more. My pocket knives are always fine using that method because I usually lose them before they get too old. Kitchen knives I own do give me issues after so many years and my wife throwing them in the dish washer doesn't help, lol. I plan on opening up a knife sharpening  business part time after I perfect the proper techniques. I think it'll work out pretty good as I have half the year off anyway. This will keep me busy while at home. I have read quite a few topics on this forum and trying to sponge up as much info as possible. I have also been watching every YouTube video possible and should be done by the time I get to Texas to start using my machine. If there is something else I should be doing please let me know. If there is something you could share with me that might help please do. Enjoy your day everyone and take care.

V/R
Russell

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Russell.

You have quite an adventure ahead. Be sure to register your new T8 online. This activates your very solid seven year Tormek warranty. It also establishes you on the mailing list. While you are logged in, be sure to watch the very well done T8 video Tormek had Alan Holtham do. You will want to watch it several times (like me).

You can also download the latest edition of the handbook. You will have a hard copy included with your T8, however, it can be convenient to also have a digital copy on your tablet. (Handy reference when you are living on the drilling ship).

Enjoy your new Tormek, and keep posting.

Ken

RTaylor

Thanks for that Ken, I was wondering if I could get a digital copy of it to read before I start. I will get my wife to send me the serial number so I can register it when it arrives. I guess that's all the info I need her to send me. I will also watch the mentioned videos, I have watched a couple from him already off YouTube. He is thorough and seems to make it easy to understand. I just received a email from the guys at sharpeningsupplies.com and they assured me that if there were any outdated jigs in the box that they would replace them. That's also pretty funny because Saturday I read one of your comments  talking about that. I didn't even ask them anything about it prior, I guess it just happens sometimes. The customer service seems awesome there. I am chomping at the bit to get back home and play with my new "toy". Lol

Jan

Welcome to the forum, Russell.  :)

For your convenience I have temporarily stored the handbook at the following address. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2052qim7tns4zwx/hb-10-en-v103.pdf?dl=0

This should enable you to be theoretically prepared before your machine arrives.  ;)

Jan