News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Robot Coupe Blades

Started by bisonbladesharpening, March 23, 2017, 12:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisonbladesharpening

Does anyone have any experience sharpening Robot Coupe or other type of commercial food processor blades.
I have a T-8 with standard jigs

Ken S

I have no experience with these, however, I found a promising link on another forum. This question comes up from time to time on this forum. I have never read a good solution with the Tormek. I hope some of our members will have solutions.

Here is the link I found:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8omo90Qp8&feature=youtu.be

Ken

grepper

I have no experience with those blades in particular, but you can sharpen a round blade by placing the blade on the bottom half of the scissors jig as a work rest, or some other contraption you can dream up to hold the blade.

The problem I see is the plastic hub getting in the way being able to mount it on the Tormek, especially if the bevel is on the top side of the blade.

The only way I've seen it done is with hand files.  Just guessing, but you might be able to do it with something like an Edge Pro.  That would be desirable as it would provide precise bevel angle control.

That said, I'd keep in mind the cutter environment.  If the blade fractured or chipped the metal would be exquisitely combined with foodstuff, and could lead to a less than desirable outcome.   It's a good idea to always inspect blender and food processor blades after each use.

Blades in that environment, especially if used for chopping hard substances such as nuts or ice cubes, etc., are no doubt subject to metal fatigue over time.  I don't know, but maybe it's a good idea to replace them after years of use? 

Cuisinart has recalled 8 million food processors dating back to 1996 due to fracturing blades:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/12/14/8-million-cuisinart-food-processor-blades-have-been-recalled-yours-may-be-one-of-them/?utm_term=.7eaa3377399c

bisonbladesharpening

Thanks for the feedback.  Most larger units have blade assemblies that can be taken apart
so I don't have to worry about the hub.  Single top bevel.  I'll try using the guide part of the scissors jig.
They have a couple of older blades I can practice on.  Will let you know.