News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN for drill bits?

Started by Elden, March 12, 2017, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Quote from: Elden on April 12, 2015, 09:01:21 AM
   Loading of the grinding wheel proved to be factor I had to contend with. As it became loaded, the grinding noise quieted down causing me to think it had reached the stop before it actually had. For larger bits plan to use the stone grader more than once during the bit sharpening unless you only are doing touch up grinding.

Quote from: Ken S on April 12, 2015, 11:03:10 AM
I believe keeping the grinding wheel in optimum cutting involves more of a learning/experience curve than most us, myself included, realize. Being aware of sound changes during grinding seems important. Yesterday I reran a five minute grinding test wuth the black stone. I could not understand why   it did not outperform better than the standard stone grinding metal lathe tool bits (high speed steel with alloys). I redid the test after freshly truing the wheel. For most of the first minute, the stone made a powerful grinding sound. I was pleased. However, it quickly quieted down and gave me the same disappointing results the initial test produced. I do not know if my test is a good indicator. There may be factors I am unaware of. I do know that there was a definite change in the grinding sound. I have always paid attention to sound while grinding. I will intensify my focus in the future. I believe there is much to be learned by close observation.

I am curious if anyone has tried doing drill bits using a CBN wheel on the Tormek, utilizing the DBS-22? It would seem to possibly make a good combination.
Elden

DaveCee5k

Elden

Dave,
   Thanks for the reply. I have seen your previous post. Good work! However, I was hoping someone had tried one on the T7 or T8 wet or dry. I imagine Ken will get around to it sometime. I know he is busy.
Elden

Ken S

Yes, Elden, it is on my list  :)

Ken