News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 Update

Started by LCAC, March 03, 2017, 05:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCAC

Hi Tormek Users. It's been a while since I've been on the forum so I thought I'd drop by and give an update on the T8 I bought at the end of last year. I got it for my school workshop so I could sharpen chisels and planes in bulk at any time and make sure I'd have a consistent sharp edge. 

Thanks to the advice of those here, it's been working really well. I've gone through a bunch of chisels and have recently started on the Planes. It's made a HUGE difference having the Tormek on hand. My students have really enjoyed using well setup and sharp tools. Their success has been great to watch. I've gone through all the Stanley No.5's and have a bunch of No.4's to get through next.

I couldn't be happier with the T8. It's slow going but the consistency has been well worth it.

https://flic.kr/p/SBv8ZV

Lewis

Ken S

Well done, Lewis!

Your students have the ideal learning situation: Tormek sharp tools (very important) and a dedicated teacher, the most important element.

Keep us posted and keep up the good work.

Ken

Jan

Lewis, thanks for posting an update on your recent T8 purchase. I rejoice with you for your successful Tormek inclusion in school curricula. I wish you abundance of interested enough students!  :)

When I thought about the roots of my sharpening hobby I concluded that it was probably my childhood enjoyment when I observed grandfather when he was sharpening stone working chisels. I envied him that he could make such big bunches of sparks. I inherited his hand forged stone chisel and hammer.  ;)

Jan

LCAC

Thanks. The next step is to build a portable trolley/bench that I can store all the bits and pieces on and leave it there. Currently I place a half sheet of MDF on the bench, lug the T8 to it and sharpen. Having a trolley will be great addition eventually.  I've had a few of the students have a go at sharpening. It's something that piques their interest.

Jan - I know the feeling. I've got a few of my dads old planes which once sharpened, have been awesome.  Sharpening and using his old ,Stanley No.7 was fun. His old No.5 is my go to plane.

Herman Trivilino

All of my father's plane irons looked rather like what you see in my drawing. Decades of improper sharpening had left them rounded over and useless. The narrow line represents the line I ground them to on my Tormek. I remember him using them when I was a kid in the 1960's but I doubt they got much use after that. He wasn't a carpenter of any kind, just a do-it-yourselfer with a lot of tools.
Origin: Big Bang

Jan

You are correct, Herman. Without suitable sharpening guide or jig it is quite difficult to maintain a consistent cutting edge especially skewed one.

Jan

jeffs55

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on March 04, 2017, 11:06:14 PM
He wasn't a carpenter of any kind, just a do-it-yourselfer with a lot of tools.
Sounds just like me, I can barely have two boards cut to the same length even on a chop saw with a stop in place. 90 degree angel? Forget it.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

peterpig

Same here - atrocious with wood - but good with metal !
Had a old US-105 Universal Support (older parts were NOT tredded ) went really crazy trying to find a way to cut treads  on that post  !
1/2 x 16 BSF die did the trick !
So now anybody that has a old Universal Support can "update" it this way.
The US-105-N Adjusting nut for universal support will happily go on !
Good Luck !