News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What have I bought?

Started by TDA171, February 28, 2017, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have used CBN wheels both wet and dry. I like either way, but lean more toward wet with Honerite Gold.

I believe grinding pressure is a much more important factor than most of us appreciate. In that regard, I believe we are still thinking in the era when the SG was the only grinding wheel available.

Ken

TDA171

Quote from: Ken S on February 28, 2017, 06:45:04 PM
Hi, Tim, and welcome to the forum.

I fear your source person may have greatly exaggerated my knowledge. My direct, hands on experience with the Tormek goes back to the T7 and T4. My knowledge of earlier models is from my own research. I will gladly share that with you.

Your photo did not show a water trough or the standard issue grinding wheel, the SG-200. (I believe the SG stands for SuperGrind; the 200 is the wheel diameter, 200mm.) Do you have the trough and standard grinding wheel?

The SG1200 is two generations back from the T4. It shares the compactness and light weight I like so much in the T4. The motor is the same, however, with the all plastic housing, you have to  pay attention to not overheating the unit. With reasonable care, this should not be a problem, and your SG1200 should give you many years of faithful service.

On the main Tormek website, click on My Tormek. You should register your Tormek. The older Tormek models did not have serial numbers, which is no problem. Registration allows you to access the downloadable online handbook. Most of the information has not changed over the years. Registration also lets you watch three very good videos, well worth your time.

Registration also documents your ownership, in case of theft. I speak from first hand experience in this, as my original T7 was stolen.

At sometime soon, you will want to clean and regrease your nylon mainshaft bushings. This is not a big project, and gets easier every year.

At this point, I will not overload with gadgets to purchase. As you mention being a turner, I will highly recommend the latest gouge jig, the SVD-186, over the earlier SVD-185. It has several substantial improvements, including a redesign to fit the T4/3/SG1200 better. Our UK turning expert, Rob, also recommends it.

I hope you will keep posting.

Enjoy your new classic Tormek.

Ken

Tim Awmack