News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pharmaceutical White Oil

Started by Blackjack, February 03, 2017, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackjack

Just a couple of questions from a newbie:

- I purchased a set of the profiled leather honing wheels for my T8.  I applied the tube of oil to both the large honing wheel and the profiled wheels before charging them with the honing compound. The compound on the profiled wheels now seem to be dry and chalky.  I'm assuming that this is because the leather needs to be re-oiled to more readily accept the compound.  Correct?  If so, how often should the leather be oiled?
- The manual refers to this oil as 100% pharmaceutical white oil. Do I need to purchase this from Tormek (none of the suppliers here in Canada seem to list it), or can it be obtained from other sources?
- The leather on the large honing wheel has become blackened, and I assume that this is from the steel that is removed during the honing process.  Correct? Should something be done to remove this, or does it somehow assist in the honing process?
- How long should i expect the leather honing pieces to last?

Hoping that I haven't asked too many questions in one message.  Thanks for whatever advice you're able to provide.

JD

p.s. Absolutely LOVE the Tormek!

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, JD.

The small tube of white oil is a long overdue improvement for Tormek. The real improvement was having a measured quantity. The oil is fine, however, thousands of Tormeks are working fine with mineral oil of light oil (three in one being a longtime typical brand). Actually, the honing compound also contains oil. A bottle of mineral oil from the drug store will probably serve you and your province for the duration.

I have broken in five leather honing wheels and a set of profile wheels. Tormek oil, mineral oil, or three in one all work fine. Just keep the amount minimal.

If you decide to do an expert you tube, the black leather wheel means you have actually used the leather wheel.  :)

Keep us posted.

Ken

Blackjack

Great Ken...thanks for the speedy reply.  Still a bit confused about the oil though...I'll pick up a bottle of mineral oil, but what is the gauge as to how often I should re-apply it?

Jack

Blackjack

Whoops... I should have continued reading earlier posts...I now see that oil is best used very sparingly...thanks again Ken.

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Blackjack on February 03, 2017, 04:57:10 PM
The compound on the profiled wheels now seem to be dry and chalky.

That's what you want. The grit removes the burr and polishes the bevel. Do not add any more oil. There is oil in the compound, so there's never any need to add more oil.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I briefly noticed a problem due to lack of oil. Of all times, it happened when I was demonstrating the Tormek. The symptom was black "dust" coming off of the leather honing wheel. Adding a little oil corrected the situation. I may have been too stingy with initially oiling that wheel. I was experimenting with valve grinding compound, and had a new leather honing wheel for the Tormek honing compound. Yes, there is oil in the honing compound, however, a small amount is needed to prepare the wheel.

Ken

bobl

I use Whal ( probs spelt it wrong ) clipper oil. This works great and stops the honing compound ending up chalky.

Ken S