News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

golf and the Tormek

Started by Ken S, January 03, 2017, 12:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Many of my coworkers at the telephone company were avid golfers. One in particular stood out. He didn't just play; he practiced. He honed his skills until he mastered the game.

One of the beneficial side effects of the reviews and testing I have done for the forum is having to increase my skills. One example stands out. I was testing a grinding wheel with a reshaping which turned out to be more of a project than I realized. The stone kept glazing, which required frequent redressing with the TT-50 truing tool. Before that, I had become comfortable using the truing tool very gently, with very light cuts. With the reshaping project, it became so time intensive that stronger measures were needed.

I mounted the truing tool on a separate universal support. That way I could quickly go back and forth between the multi jig and the truing tool. I also became more bold, overcoming my reluctance to make heavier truing cuts. To my surprise, I became fluent and comfortable with heavier cuts.

I still prefer light truing cuts, however, that is no longer a limitation.

Developing the kenjig has increased my understanding and fluency with knife jigs. That understanding has spread to other tools.

I would not have gained this fluency as quickly with just routine, as needed sharpening. I have become a full believer in the value of practice and repetition in learning how to use a Tormek. I have more to learn, however, my practice time has proved fruitful.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I've actually met a pro golfer, and am within a couple degree's of several others.  I know of no one who has mastered the game.  I would certainly be impressed if some kid mastered the game and shot his age on his 18th birthday.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

Your point is well taken. I am not a golfer. I should have written that my middle aged coworker became very proficient through focused practice.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I agree that practice macks one get much better.   But, perfect practice makes on great.  When practicing, be sure what you are doing everything perfectly.    Slow and perfect will beat out developing muscle memory for doing things wrongly.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I could not have stated that better. Carry on!

Ken