News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is there a Tormek jig available for sharpening centre punches and the like?

Started by Gangle, January 09, 2017, 11:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gangle

Hello, its my first post here and I was wondering if there is a Tormek jig available for sharpening centre punches and the like?

As I am getting on and the old eyesight is not as it was, I use an optical centre punch all the time. The punch piont on these needs to be.. in the centre for best results.

I am having trouble grinding the points in the exact centre by hand.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Gangle. At present, I know of no jig for sharpening center punches. However, by posting, you may have planted a seed with the members. We have been known to generate ideas.

Ken

Jan

Gangle, see my homemade jig for drill bit sharpening http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3226.msg18859#msg18859

Center punch sharpening is much easier. You have to tilt the base of the jig towards the shaft.  :)

If your center punch is short (as in the Veritas set) you may have to modify the jig concept to get some clearance for your fingertips which spin the tool.  :)

Jan

RichColvin

If I need a very accurate center that is smoothly cut, then I use my mini metal lathe.  Works amazingly well. 

Otherwise I use the method I was taught for sharpening TIG bits using a drill and a bench grinder.  A picture is below.   By revolving the bit with the drill whilst sharpening, it keeps the point well centered. 

Apologies to Tormek about posting a solution not using your system, but I couldn't find a way to send a PM to Jim with the picture attached. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Gangle

Thanks for the answers, Jan's jig looks like the go, I'll be making one of those!