News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"on the fly" Tormek use

Started by Ken S, January 01, 2017, 11:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I enjoy sharpening chisels with the SG grinding wheel. I enjoy the sound and feel of the stone with the high carbon steel chisel. I enjoy the sensory differences when the stone is graded fine. I like to see the sharp edge evolve, just as I have always enjoyed photographic prints come to life in the developer tray. The whole process is very satisfying.

I have also given an edge a quick tune up, using just the leather honing wheel with whatever honing compound  remained. I have recently discovered that by leaving the  dry 180 grit CBN wheel in place, I can do a respectable quick sharpening job on a chisel "on the fly" (an English idiom meaning hurredly without stopping). A quick follow up with the leather honing wheel makes a surprising difference.

This does not render a proper Tormek edge, but is very close, and, as Alan Holtham might say, is "very quick".

Ken

bobl

sounds like a winner Ken.

Last time I did something on the fly, the wife caught me. ( But thats a different story ) Haha
C.B.N. sounds good though.
Bob
( The Knife Grinder )