News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cutting Blade for meat grinders

Started by igorvik, December 22, 2016, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igorvik

Hello,
Is it possible to use tormek T7 for sharpening  cutting blade of electric meat grinder, such http://shop.panasonic.com/microwave-and-kitchen/microwave-and-kitchen-accessories/meat-grinder-accessories/AMM12C-180.html ?
What accessories can be used?
Thank you.

Elden

Igor (igorvik),

Welcome to the forum, I see this is your second time to post. I hope you got the Tormek manual you were looking for previously.
   I do not know a definite answer for your question. My first thought would be to try the SVM-45 knife jig if you have one. Looking at the picture, possibly you could clamp behind one of the cutting surfaces (4 different clamping and sharpenings would be required). It might work, but it might not because of clearance for the jig and the other cutting surfaces.
   If it could be successfully clamped without clearance issues, careful grinding would have to be done to keep the surface fairly flat lengthwise so that it would match up with the grinder plate properly. The inside of the cutting surface will not grind as quickly as the outer portion. One would need to be careful not to grind into the  other cutters not being sharpened at that time.
   Careful grinding on a belt sander might work. I imagine it would be beneficial to keep all 4 cutting surfaces true to a flat plane (the grinder plate).
   I do not have a cutter to try to set up. Consequently, these suggestions may not work.
   Hopefully some of the others will have a better answer for you.

Merry Christmas!
Elden

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Igorvik.

Like Elden, I do not have one of these blades. I would try to sharpen it using the SVD-110 Tool Rest. I would use the black marker method. Blacken the bevel with a marker. Check your set up by moving the wheel by hand. When the marker is removed across the whole bevel, or at least in the middle, you should be ready to grind. Use the stone grader to make the stone fine and proceed slowly.

Keep us posted.

Did you ever find a copy of the DBS-22 instructions in Russian?
Last night I found a very interesting video on using CBN grinding wheels. It was in Spanish. My Spanish is no longer fluent. It was frustrating. It was also beneficial to experience finding good material not in my native language. Google translate program might help.

I also feel if that there are Tormek dealers listed in both St. Petersburg and Moscow. Either of them should be able to provide you with instructions in Russian. (That is just my opinion.)

Ken

Elden

I actually want to retract my previous suggestions. After watching the following videos, I am afraid the cutter and the plate could not be kept as matching flat surfaces using the method I mentioned. I think the following approach would be a better method.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2uHuyKVRU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeUNzf1VewE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpGq0_bcmg
Elden

igorvik

Dear friends,
Thank You very much for your advice. I definitely will use them. I have all the accessories to Tormek T7. But probably will have to do as in the video.
Yes, of course I found the instruction for the DBS-22 in the Russian language and sharpen drill bits. If someone need I can send instruction. I'm very glad I bought this machine. Wife says I love my machine more than her. :-)
Thank you very much again, it is very nice to chat on your forum!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Igor.

Jan

Igor, the plate and the back of the cutter can be sharpened/flattened  on the side of the Tormek grindstone.

The bevel of the cutter can be sharpen using the base of the scissors jig as a rest. The bevel angle of my blade is circa 85°. Use the black marker method to adjust the angle, grade the stone fine.  ;)

It will cut better than new, your wife will be happy.  :)

Jan

igorvik

Jan
I have a knife other type with curved cutters. So in this way it will be possible to grind only half of the cutter.

Jan

Igor, I am aware that the knives of your cutting blade have different shape, nevertheless sharpening only the half will improve the blade performance also.  ;)

The peripheral segments of the knives are more important in the cutting process than the inner ones because they move with larger velocity.

Jan

Ken S

igorvik

Jan,
Today I will try your method and then write here about results. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make a quality photo.

Jan

OK, Igor, good luck! Do not be worried about photos. The important thing is that you succeed!  :)

Jan

igorvik

Job done. I hope I did not very bad. Tomorrow my wife will buy the meat and check. Photos I didn't because it turned out another "killed" knife . Since the sharpening process there were some important points I decided to make a video with this knife. Thank you Jan, it was useful advice with the base of the scissors jig, also helped the videos of Elden.
Thanks a lot! :)

Elden

Glad to hear you finished the job. Trust it works well for you. Please tell us how well it works after trying it.
   I will try to remember the process myself as I believe that I have 1 or 2 small hand operated meat grinders stored away somewhere. Some summer sausage sounds pretty tasty!
Elden

Ken S

Ivan,

Your question about sharpening an electric meat grinder blade it typical of posts from time time regarding tools which are not the usual Tormek sharpening jobs. Quite often, even there is no specific jig for the job, using a related jig with some thought will produce good results. That is one of the things I find fascinating about the Tormek. With thought, a much wider scope of tools can be sharpened.

Keep posting!

Ken

Jan

Igor, you are welcome! I look forward to hear from you that it works well.  :)

Jan