News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

reshaping turning gouges

Started by Ken S, December 12, 2016, 10:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For some time I have been looking for a way to grind turning gouges in the horizontal position with the wheel turning into the edge. I thought I had found a way which worked, however, it cascaded water everywhere.

I finally devised a way which works well. The Tormek is placed looking at the grinding wheel on the left side. Robin Bailey's extended support bar is inserted into the sleeves. The sleeves are on the far side of the Tormek for this. I am using a T4. This should also work with the T7/8, although I want to check this. 

This works with a CBN wheel running dry. Running dry prevents the water spillage.

My 180 grit CBN wheel has finally "mellowed" to its long term coarseness. It should be just right for my use. It works for reshaping, although if I was doing frequent reshaping, an 80 grit wheel would be nice.

Holding the turning gouge in this position resembles using it with a lathe. So does the horizontal, turning away position, although this way allows the wheel to cut more aggressively. It worked well with a handled gouge, although I believe it would work even better with the gouge removed from its handle. (I was using the redesigned SVD-186 jig, which fits the T4 better than the older jig.

Not all jigs work in this configuration. The straight edge jig jig does not. I think it is worth exploring.

Ken

RichColvin

I use the BGM-100 to shape them on a dry grinder, & then sharpen them on the Tormek.  Works greatly.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Your solution may prove to be the most practical in the long run. At this point, at least for me, the jury is still listening to the evidence.

Ken