News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

bread knives revisited

Started by Ken S, December 05, 2016, 03:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I posted quite a while ago that I sharpened my scalloped bread knife using a dowel wrapped in adhesive abrasive paper. I may have posted later that the next resharpening was with the same dowel with diamond paste. I was pleased with both results. With all methods, I remove the burr by using the Tormek leather honing wheel on the flat side of the knife.

I originally chose those methods because they were each less costly than purchasing a diamond rod. In the meantime I purchased a DMT tapered diamond rod. I used that diamond this morning for another sharpening. Although it performed adequately, the dowel methods worked better. The dowel is a consistent diameter; the diamond rod is tapered.

I would not use the quick method of just thinning the knife blade on the flat side on my good Henkel knife. A better, individual scallop sharpening is easily finished in a couple minutes. If I was in business, I would offer both options to the customer. I would price the method for "everyday knives" less than the method for "finer knives" and let the customer decide.

I will also investigate Steve's technique with a Spyderco Triangular Sharpmaker.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

There are non tapered rods.  The point of the tapered ones, is for various serrations, like the multiple sizes on a typical pocket knife. (or on some knives, the smaller serrations on the tip)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Interesting. I will look into them, although I have found the dowel method quite satisfactory.

Ken