News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Non circular running of Waterstones?

Started by kuhnikuehnast, November 17, 2016, 05:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuhnikuehnast

Hi there,
I just got my new SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone. As I mounted it, i recognized a non circular running... Is this normal? I added two videos to see the difference between the SJ-250 and the SG-250. Please help me, I am afraid to use the new SJ-250 because it may be damaged and after sharpening the first time, I can't send it back.

Greetings from Germany :-)

kuhnikuehnast

SJ-250:
http://visser.at/Tormek_SJ-250.mp4

SG-250:
http://visser.at/Tormek_SG-250.mp4

Ken S

Welcome the forum, Kuhnikuehnast.

I highly recommend you email Tormek support in Sweden. (support@tormek.se)  We have found that Tormek's warranty service is outstanding.

I would not do anything with your new SJ-250 until you hear from support. They are quite prompt. Then follow their advice. Save a copy of any emails between you and support. In the unusual situation that you have any trouble with the middle of the chain, having backup from Sweden is invaluable.

Do not worry, and do keep us posted.

Ken

kuhnikuehnast

So do you think there is anything wrong with the stone?  :'( This would be crazy! I have really misfortune with this project...
(I really have to tell, that the support of tormek is perfect! The misfortune is because of the company where I bought everything)

greetings kuhnikuehnast

Ken S

I have been trying to watch the videos you posted. My ipad and imac do not seem to play nicely with your videos. The videos open, but do not run....most of the time. I have been able to see a bit of the video once or twice. No clue why or why not.

My guess is your non circular running is what I would call wobble, rather than a high spot along the rim. Is that so?

In the maintenance part of the handbook, side to side wobble is addressed. The tolerance spec is + or - .5mm. That means from a dead true plane, the side surface of the wheel needs to be .5mm (.020") or less.

We have had posts on this subject where inspecting the area of the grinding wheel near the bore for splatter, excess bits of grinding wheel and removing them by rubbing them with the stone grader. Another fix is rotating the washer between the shaft and grinding wheel until the "sweet spot" is found.

Please post support's reply. Please remember my earlier recommendation of not doing anything until you hear from support and follow their advice.

Ken

jeffs55

You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Well done, SADW.

I waited until the two videos loaded fully, and everything went well. I will wait until support comments.

Ken