News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Handle replacement, for old style knob handle.

Started by SharpenADullWitt, October 29, 2016, 06:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

I used one of the original old style knife jigs last night.  Evidently the handle was cracked as it was really loose so I tightened the knob and the section around the knob came out.
I am assuming that ordering a replacement knob, since the old style isn't available, doesn't come with the o-ring.  So I will need to order an o-ring as well.  But does the old style jig have a spot for it, or am I better off just getting a new jig?
Anyone replace one yet?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

This sounds like a job for "Super Support". (support@tormek.se)

As a backup, I have both old and new knife jigs. I will see if the handles interchange. I will let you know by the end of the day.

Later

I checked my knife jigs. At first glance, it looked like the new and old handles were interchangeable. The O ring on the newer jig fits in a groove between the end of the threads and the shoulder of the jig. The shafts of the old and new jigs look identical. Both have a groove. I measured the groove on the older shaft is minutely smaller than on the new shaft, but that should not matter.

I placed the O ring on the old shaft. When I tried to thread on the new handle (on the old shaft), the O ring prevented the handle from properly threading.

I then tried to replace the new handle and O ring on the new handle. I had the same jamming  problem. As I did not want to pay shipping for a new O ring, I did not force the issue. So, I now have a disassembled new regular knife jig.

Do not lose heart, Advanced Machinery (advmachinery.com), the major US parts supplier, lists only the new O ring version available as a spare part, for both the regular and long jigs. That tells me that the new handle should fit both the old and new jigs. The question is how.

As I originally stated, this is a job for Super Support. I will email them this evening and post the reply next week. Knowing how to assemble a new handle with an O ring should be part of every Tormek nife sharpener's bag of tricks..

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

It would help if I had one of each at both places, but I am out and about today, and of course the one I worked with is across town from the other.
I expect a o-ring trick would be lubrication. (maybe vaseline, or mineral oil)  I just used my old jig, his jig, out of convenience, because it was closer to where I had to go.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I expect you are correct about the lubrication. I will be interested in reading support's reply.

Ken

Jan

Ken, SADW, do not lubricate the O-ring because otherwise you lose its intended "self-locking" function and it will slip. I have had it several times disassembled and the dry O-ring always survived the assemblage. Use reasonable force.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

Outstanding, Jan. Your informative, experienced based post represents the best part of the forum

Thanks.

Ken

Jan

Ken, you're welcome. Please do not over-praise me. Otherwise I don't need to try harder when my moderator thinks I'm doing great.  :)

My intimate knowledge of the jig is from the time when I was measuring its dimensions for displaying it in AutoCAD.

Jan

Ken S

Very well, Jan.

Thank you for an adequate job. Maybe a little more effort next time. :)

Your adequate information is still useful.......

Ken

grepper

Ken,

Just a thought...  You are not trying to put the handle back onto the new jig upside down, right?  The rounded top goes on first.  If you do it backwards with the cylinder part of the handle first, the handle will screw down until it hits the o-ring and then stop not because it hits the o-ring, but because the threads bottom out.  I hate to admit this, but I ask that because when I first reassembled mine I put the handle on backward.  Duh!  ::)

Jan is right- just apply a little pressure.  It should slide right on. 

If it just won't press on, try a little lubrication like Super Lube or a little silicone.  If it then turns too easily, you can just pull it apart again, clean the o-ring and the inside of the handle and put it back together.  O-ring material is pretty tough stuff.

Ken S

Doctor Grepper,

Once again your diagnosis is correct. We have another case of DUH Syndrome. I was attempting to reassemble the jig with the handle (adjustable stop) backward. The correct direction works fine.

Out of curiosity, I also tried reassembling the older handle (adjustable stop) with an O ring. It did not work. I don't understand why it doesn't work. I hope to learn more about this soon from support. I will keep everyone posted.

Ken

Ken S

I have wondered if it is possible to combine an older style adjustable stop (also known as a handle) with an O ring. Careful comparison with a small hole gage revealed the difference in the older and newer bores. The bore of the older adjustable stop is straight, with no taper. The bore of the new design tapers very slightly. The opening is slightly larger than the inner end. The taper only extends part way through the bore. The larger opening caused by this taper is what allows the O ring to slip into the bore and to be held snugly enough not to slip. It is a clever application of a simple principle. Well done, Tormek engineering!

An older adjustable stop could be modified to work with an O ring. A simple ream could be made from a piece of steel 100mm x 12mm x 2-4mm thick. (4" x 1/2" x approx 1/8" thick). Grind a slight taper on one end and sharpen the taper. Carefully ream out the open end of the adjustable stop until the O ring fits with mild force. The plastic should work easily. (If anyone actually wishes to do this, post your intentions and I will provide more precise measurements.) I may actually do this someday with my older knife jigs. I like the newer securing mechanism. I also like the new zinc jig, and will probably hold off until the long knife is (hopefully) redesigned in zinc.

I am sure that Tormek will not reissue the now obsolete 100 mm long knife jig I use for my slicer knife. If I mofify that jig, I will do the other two at the same time.

I think SADW made a good call in replacing the cracked handle (adjustable stop) of his knife jig with a replacement and O ring. He will have a working jig at a fraction of the price of a new jig. Unless one can modify his own jigs at essentially the cost of O rings, I think it prudent to stay with a working jig.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Of note, it arrived a couple of days ago, but only made it over to my parents this morning and it took less then 20 seconds to change.  A very small push was required to go over the hump, and I didn't compare the handles, as enough of the plastic had broken away with the knob, it wouldn't have been a true comparison.
8)

Ken S

SADW,

I would be curious to know your thoughts comparing the old and new handles. Please post when you get a chance for a good test drive.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

My view is if you never adjust the handle, the new handle in the tightest position is fine.  If you use it for fine adjustment, as I do, I prefer the older style handle with the knob that matches the one that goes in the support bar at the end.  I find it holds more securely then the handle with an o ring.
8)

RichColvin

I have both style handles and agree with SADW.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.