News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Off topic - strength of dust extraction query

Started by AndrewLee, September 28, 2016, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewLee

Hey guys, dunno if anyone can help me but I've have purchased a dust extractor a few months ago. Ive hardly used it tbh and only just realised that I don't actually know if it works correctly.

It is a record power cx3000. 0.560kw motor.

Thing is, how strong is the suction supposed to be? I never have had experiences with dust extraction systems before (home garage hobby) and so the only references are from vacuum cleaners. Tbh the suction feels rather underwhelming. For a woodworking shop vac, it doesn't feel that much stronger than a household hoover so I'm worried if the machine is faulty.

Any advice will be appreciated guys.

Hatchcanyon

The suction of a dust extractor like described is almost always lower than that of an household vacuum cleaner.

The difference lies in the amount of air that it takes in. The standard vacuum has a hose of some 30 mm only the extractor has 100 mm. That means it does not need that much low pressure to get the same amount of dust. Even if it developes only a quarter of low pressure the hose area is tenfold and therefore the exractor will bei more powerful by a factor of 2,5. (Not calculated the much higher friction for the airflow within a tight hose)

In my shop I use both types. A shop vacuum for routers and jigsaw and an extractor for planer and bandsaw.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

AndrewLee

Thanks for the advice!

Coming at it from a newbie angle the lack of suction gives me the impression that it won't suck up alot of shavings behind a lathe. I'll just have to give it a go and see the effect for myself

Jan

AndrewLee, from the health point of view, it is important to know the size of dust particles which can be successfully separated.

For standard dust collectors it is circa 30 microns while new cyclone filtration units are able to separate fine dust particles larger than circa 2 microns.

Some older dust collectors can be upgraded to handle finer dusts with the addition of a 1 micron filter cartridge.  :)

Jan

AndrewLee

I see,  being young and ignorant I've tend to not think too much about dust safety. The dust collector is more as a means to keep the shop tidy. To my credit I do also have a trend airpro helmet. Although it's a bit heavy on the neck after sustained use.