News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstone SG-250 possible defect

Started by kolekoll, October 21, 2016, 09:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kolekoll

Quote from: Ken S on October 24, 2016, 04:47:24 PM
Having had the chance to meet with Stig on several occasions, I trust him to do right by you.

A new replacement grinding wheel would seem the ideal solution to me. That said, it may not be the only desirable option for you. I would have faith. Grinding wheels, like brake shoes, areconsumables. They are very useful, but not precious.

Grind away the defect. Use the wheel; it should have plenty of life remaining. Compensation in some way may well be worth more than a few millimeters of grinding wheel.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Ken, I have no doubt, that this issue will be solved. Definitely ! Tormek has a good reputation. Every company could have some faulty parts, no big deal, important is that it will be solved :).

kolekoll

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on October 24, 2016, 05:00:44 PM
If the stone is new I would definitely not accept to true it.

At first that is not a work a customer has to do and second who guarantees that the defect does not reach deeper down in the structure of the stone.

For me Tormeks answer is totally customer unfriendly and not legal in Germany. (The whole EU?)

Rolf

Rolf, I would be not so harsh on Tormek customer service .. I do understand them too.. They have to figure out somehow, is it manufacturing fault or customer. I would give some time and I'm sure we can find the middle way or replacement solution. Probably I have to go to Estonian company, who sold it to me, but I'll wait the answer from Sweden. I feel pretty positively right now.

kolekoll

Everything worked out, I had e-mail from Stig ( Sweden, Tormek customer service ) and tomorrow I'll go to company( Estonian company ), where I bought that Tormek and for a new stone on warranty. I'll do this tomorrow and will keep posted, how it goes.

Rem

Well, I had to call in a few markers and twist a few arms, but I finally got them to .....  KIDDING >>>> KIDDING >>>>>

Glad to see Tormek stepped up to the grindstone.   They did the right thing.   Hat's off to them !!!!    Glad it worked out.   RR   

Ken S

Jan

I also rejoice with you at the correct solution of this issue.  :)

Jan

Hatchcanyon

Very good!

At last the right solution!

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

"At last" the right solution.

Considering that Kolekoll first posted the topic on the twenty first and it was resolved by the twenty fourth, I consider that quite acceptable resolution time. (Would that all our difficulties in life be resolved that quickly! :)

I have become convinced that early contact with Tormek support is the key to rapid resolution of service problems. The forum is more than willing to offer guidance; support makes it happen.

Well done, Tormek.

Ken

Rem

I tend to agree with Ken (I hate when that happens), although there was a scary moment there at first when it was suggested that "truing will set you free".   However, I also think that a two week, all expenses paid trip to Sweden would be entirely appropriate. 

I will speak to my Uncle Sven and see what can be arranged.  I can't divulge his actual status over there, but .......  enough said.   R   ;D

kolekoll

Hi everyone, looks like warranty replacement going flawlessly. Sent all e-mail exchange between me and Sweden , to company , where I bought that Tormek.  No question asked. :)
As to free trip to Sweden, would be nice too, for example Tormek manufactory :) . I would definitely accepting that offer ..  but I do accept a new SG-250 too, instead of free trip to Sverige,  at least, I can start to sharpen knives again. I'm considering also buying some Kings grinding wheel too, I'd like to try them.
Thank you guys for support, you are GREAT !

Ken S

You are most welcome, Ero. We will look forward to the sharpening news from Estonia. Let us know how the new grinding wheel works.

Ken

ps Our families used to be neighbors. We lived just down the Baltic coast in Rostock until 1873.

SharpenADullWitt

If you bought the Kings, post up your thoughts.  There were some posts about it years back, and what I remember is it is one grain, and a much softer wheel.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I am reluctant to discuss competitor's grinding wheels, as Tormek also sells two extra grinding wheels. I really hate to sound like a moderator, but it goes with the territory.

Ken

Elden

I agree, Ken. Private messaging works well, however.
Elden

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on October 26, 2016, 05:22:13 PM
I am reluctant to discuss competitor's grinding wheels, as Tormek also sells two extra grinding wheels. I really hate to sound like a moderator, but it goes with the territory.

Ken
So don't.  You don't have to get into the discussion.
The wheels were discussed before.  I think current opinions on whether they improved, or are still soft, is still a good thing and fair discussion.  I do not believe that everyone would want them, but I do believe being aware of ones options, is. fair.  I know we have discussed CBN before, which would be a specialty thing, why would this be different?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)