News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstone SG-250 possible defect

Started by kolekoll, October 21, 2016, 09:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kolekoll

Hello. Does your SG-250 also has such small " nick" on top surface ? When I got it brand new, there was a light spot on grindstone, after first trueing I noticed a very small hole, I thought, that it will go away, but now my grinding stone has a diameter about 243 and the hole gets bigger. Is it normal or I have a faulty grindstone ?  I'll listen any suggestion :)  I'll include a link with pictures http://nagi.ee/photos/tartustuff/sets/404891/

Ken S

Have you reported this to Tormek support? On the forum we can offer our thoughts and experiences. Tormek support can correct the situation if it is a warranty issue.

support@tormek.se

Ken

Herman Trivilino

It's definitely not normal to have a hole in the grindstone. Sounds like a defect to me.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

That's not normal.  When I first got my machine areas of the wheel had abnormal pitting.  First just one spot then other larger areas developed.  Dressing the wheel did not remove them, it simply uncovered other areas.  It was nasty as these areas would grab a blade and pitch it back.  Tormek replaced the wheel and no more problems. 

My wheel was not exactly what you show.  This is what one of the smaller areas looked like:

kolekoll

Quote from: Ken S on October 21, 2016, 10:31:54 PM
Have you reported this to Tormek support? On the forum we can offer our thoughts and experiences. Tormek support can correct the situation if it is a warranty issue.

support@tormek.se

Ken

Thank you Ken for advise. I was planning to do that, but thought, I'm asking before from this forum members.

Ken S

Kolekoll,

Please do not misunderstand me. We welcome your questions and are pleased to help. Whenever there is a possible defective component, Tormek in Sweden is your best path.

Do not hesitate to post.

Ken

kolekoll

Quote from: Ken S on October 21, 2016, 11:27:19 PM
Kolekoll,

Please do not misunderstand me. We welcome your questions and are pleased to help. Whenever there is a possible defective component, Tormek in Sweden is your best path.

Do not hesitate to post.

Ken

Ken, everything is allright :). I do appreciate all of your respond ! I already sent a question to Tormek support in Sweden. I'll see, what they answer .

Ken S

Let us know what you hear from Sweden.

Keep in mind that, unlike some of us insomniac forum fanatics, the support people have a family life on the weekends. I would consider a response by Monday excellent service.

Ken

kolekoll

Quote from: Ken S on October 21, 2016, 11:45:37 PM
Let us know what you hear from Sweden.

Keep in mind that, unlike some of us insomniac forum fanatics, the support people have a family life on the weekends. I would consider a response by Monday excellent service.

Ken

Yeah, since I live in Estonia, I know, that in Friday evening usually people in Nordic countries trying to go to home as fast as possible and forget all work related duties :)

Ken S

Why should the Nordic people be any different than the rest of the world?  :)

Ken

kolekoll

Ok, here is the suggestion from Sweden.
Hi,
Sorry for this, It should disappear after you true it sometimes but it's not supposed to be like this.
My suggestion is that you measure the stones diameter, and true it down until the hole is gone.
Measure it again and let me know how much you had to remove. I will compensate you in some way for this.

Best Regards,
Stig Reitan

Rem

Based on your pictures, that's a pretty ugly looking hole, and an obvious defect.  They should have a new wheel already in the mail to you, instead of asking you to true it out.  I see it as their problem, not yours.   It's a brand new stone.   But that's just me.  I sure hope they come through for you.    RR 

kolekoll

REM ... That what actually I hoped too, but ok, I'll grind it down until  that hole disappears ( it is actually gets bigger, when using grinding wheel for sharpening and trueing, in near future I can't use this stone anymore, may be just for trueing only :)  ), but for some reason I think, the SG-250 will look after that like a donuts ring .. It shrinked already from 250  to about 243 .. with using some sharpening and then trueing and trueing and trueing :)

Ken S

Having had the chance to meet with Stig on several occasions, I trust him to do right by you.

A new replacement grinding wheel would seem the ideal solution to me. That said, it may not be the only desirable option for you. I would have faith. Grinding wheels, like brake shoes, areconsumables. They are very useful, but not precious.

Grind away the defect. Use the wheel; it should have plenty of life remaining. Compensation in some way may well be worth more than a few millimeters of grinding wheel.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Hatchcanyon

If the stone is new I would definitely not accept to true it.

At first that is not a work a customer has to do and second who guarantees that the defect does not reach deeper down in the structure of the stone.

For me Tormeks answer is totally customer unfriendly and not legal in Germany. (The whole EU?)

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.