News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new light for the bandsaw

Started by Ken S, October 02, 2016, 11:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on October 03, 2016, 09:00:48 PM
I work our house for years to reduce electrical power consumption. In 2005 we consumed about 6.300 Watts, this year will we come out at 3.600.

Since there were 8760 hours during the year 2005, your consumption of 6300 watts of power works out to over 55 000 kilowatt-hours of energy.

QuoteI feel power is more correct even if one can say "energy" too.

The terms are not interchangeable.

QuoteDepends how long the power is used.

The amount of energy consumed does indeed depend on how long the power is consumed.

Origin: Big Bang

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on October 02, 2016, 11:46:04 PM
Next trip to the hardware store I will pick up an LED bulb for the bandsaw. No more burned fingers!

I replaced the bulbs in my kitchen range hood with LED's and they are hot to the touch. Must be the transformer. Other LED bulbs that I have are only slightly warm.

Ken S

The difference in bulbs is easily determined with a simple finger test. :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on February 19, 2017, 05:04:34 PM
The difference in bulbs is easily determined with a simple finger test. :)

Ken

Yes, after the purchase!

Ken S

Touché, Herman

We left the logical world or science for the free for all world of marketing. The bulb I used resembles the old tungsten bulbs. Are you sure your range hood bulbs are LED and not halogen?

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on February 19, 2017, 08:41:50 PM
Touché, Herman

We left the logical world or science for the free for all world of marketing. The bulb I used resembles the old tungsten bulbs. Are you sure your range hood bulbs are LED and not halogen?

Ken

The originals were halogen. They kept burning out so I replaced them with LED. They are nowhere near as hot, but they are still too hot to touch comfortably.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on February 19, 2017, 03:29:01 PM
Quote from: Ken S on October 02, 2016, 11:46:04 PM
Next trip to the hardware store I will pick up an LED bulb for the bandsaw. No more burned fingers!

I replaced the bulbs in my kitchen range hood with LED's and they are hot to the touch. Must be the transformer. Other LED bulbs that I have are only slightly warm.

Check the packaging.  I have yet to get a reply from the manufacturers that I have contacted, as several that I have seen, say they are NOT FOR ENCLOSED FIXTURES.  LED"s becoming popular at the same time they are selling ceiling fixtures that totally encapsulate the bulb, which have fins to cool the transformer part of the LED and need air flow.
Normally they try to seal the light compartment, so it doesn't get grease flow through from the hood, but it needs air flow for the LED bulbs. (probably will have to look into rough service, old style light bulbs for the hood)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thought about the need for  ventilation, SADW.

Ken

peterpig

We all reduced the kWh usage - one example " 13 years ago we used a lamp over our dining table with 120 Watt bulbs, today we have 10 Watt LED providing the same brightness on the table top."
THE USAGE GOES DOWN - BUT THE BILL IS GOING UP AND UP !

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on February 19, 2017, 03:26:58 PM

Since there were 8760 hours during the year 2005, your consumption of 6300 watts of power works out to over 55 000 kilowatt-hours of energy.

Take a typo "K" in front of the Watts and it works.
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.