News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

excellent cambering video with David Charlesworth

Started by Ken S, September 22, 2016, 02:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

David Charlesworth is a world class English traditional woodworking teacher. (He is also a member of this forum.)

In this youtube he demonstrates how he uses the new Tormek SE-77 Square Edge jig to add controllable camber to his plane blades.

I found his system of marking his jig to correctly center plane blades of different widths especially interesting. I think this youtube is well worth watching.

Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfd-xzOF5sc

Dakotapix

I haven't watch the Charlesworth video yet but I also saw one from Highland Woodworking which is where I bought my se-77. Here's the link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCV1EkboiGo

Jan

I liked David Ch. captivating personality and beautiful English.  :)

I noticed two things:
a)   his Tormek is placed very high,
b)   his leather honing wheel looks like new.

Jan

Dakotapix

Well, I just did watch the Charlesworth video. It's good. One question I had was what appeared to be an inability to zero out the camber knobs. Not so. There are horizontal lines along the face side of the cambering knobs. Line those up and you are zeroed. I guess Tormek thought of everything here.

SharpenADullWitt

He had two support bars, and doesn't appear to use the leather wheel at all. (love to see him post why)  His placement, well that could either be for filming purposes, or as many do, just where he has a spot to use it, and has to adapt to do so.

I don't know what it is about his voice, but it has a droning effect that could put me to sleep. (reminds me of how my parents kept the radio on real low to put us kids to sleep on long trips)
I do think between the video's here, they have already shown something that could be upgraded, IMHO on the SE-77 jig (and I just received mine).  The knobs could have degree markings on them, that one could color coat, so you can see how much you have turned them. 
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I agree about the benefits of calibrating the camber adjusting knobs. I put small pointing triangles of blue masking tape on mine. That's a temporary, bush league fix; there is room for improvement.

David's way of speaking would never work for a tent revival preacher on a politician on the stump. However, his speaking reminds me of a bandsaw class I had with Mark Duginske. I consider Mark to be the foremost expert on the bandsaw. I was delighted to sign up for a class with him. It was at the Conover Workshop in Parkman, Ohio on a blistery cold northern Ohio winter day. We were on the lower level of Ernie's shop. The floor was concrete. The chairs grew uncomfortable. Ernie had not yet installed the new furnace, so the room was cold. There was a lot of noise from the turning class on the upper level. Mark has a quiet speaking voice. The class was excellent, however, I felt I really earned the knowledge. Given another opportunity to study with Mark, I would gladly endure the same conditions, perhaps with some more grumbling.

I consider David's expertise in furniture making and handtool woodworking on a par with Mark's knowledge of the bandsaw. I have several of David's books and his DVDs are on my short list to purchase. I expect him to have the same speaking voice in his DVDs as on the youtube. I also expect the same depth of knowledge. For me, the knowledge outweighs the speaking.

Ken