News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a variation on sanding the drive wheel

Started by Ken S, September 29, 2016, 02:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Rem said, "I accept full responsibility for having diverted a purely Tormekian topic into nonsensical oblivion.  I'm bad for that."

No Rem!  No bad!   :)  I truly appreciate your sense of humor and have enjoyed your posts! 

For the most part, discussion here sticks to the subject, but not always.  Personally I don't see anything wrong with that at all and it's only natural.  Many interesting divergences have arisen over time, and all have been worth reading, informative and many times with humor. 

After all, this is a community of friendly, intelligent and good natured folks with a sense of humor!  It's only natural that conversations about mechanical things, language, country differences (this is a world wide forum) for instance, may spin off in different directions.   It builds community and shares personalities.  And sometimes simply provides a welcome chuckle.

I think that the balance of Tormek and spinoff conversations that I've seen here is about right and welcome. 

After all being from the US, it weren't for this forum I probably wouldn't say something like, well that's my humble opinion and so, as far as I'm concerned, Bob's your uncle!  ;D

Ken S

Great post, Grepper. I totally agree.

Rem, Don't change. We welcome your posts.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Going off topic into humor is a bad thing???? ??? :P ;D
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

Wow, SADW!  You said in 9 words what took me a tome!

Rem

Much appreciated, guys.   Thanks for your comments.   I'll try to keep a lid on it.  Remember, a man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.    R   

grepper

Quote from: Rem on October 02, 2016, 07:23:54 AM
I'll try to keep a lid on it.     

??

At great risk of belaboring...  (But I will anyway just in case of misunderstanding!)  :)

Quote from: grepper on October 02, 2016, 05:01:15 AM
No Rem!  No bad!   :)  I truly appreciate your sense of humor and have enjoyed your posts! 

Quote from: Ken S on October 02, 2016, 05:52:41 AM
Rem, Don't change. We welcome your posts.

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on October 02, 2016, 06:59:51 AM
Going off topic into humor is a bad thing???? ??? :P ;D

:)

Rem

Killing Me !!!!!!!!   ;D ;D

You're all too kind.   But don't get me started.  You'll regret it. 

The lying weather vermin (they are highly inaccurate unless it's bad news) say no more plus temps until next March.  :'(  We're into it now.  So I'll be a lot more cranky anyway.   Let's be careful out there, and keep your bevel to the grindstone.     R 

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Although the original inspiration was an authorized Tormek maintenance technique, the topic is definitely not Tormek. If members wish, I can easily remove the topic, or, we can just let it sink into pixel oblivion.

Take it up with the moderator, Ken. It's his job to worry about such things!
Origin: Big Bang

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on September 30, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Heavy rain yesterday made me realize my brilliant repair is already a little iffy. I will replace the wipers; they are a safety item.

Try waxing the windshield, you won't be disappointed. There are silicone-based glass treatments that work better and last longer than wax, too, such as Rain-X.
Origin: Big Bang

Rem

Wipers ???   WIPERS ???   We don't need no stinkin' wipers ......     R   ::)

grepper

My own experience with waxing windshields didn't pan out well.  Wax is relatively soft, gets scratches, and can get micro crud particles embedded in it making a hazy surface.

I tried Rain-X too.  It repels water very well but made my wipers jumpy and they chattered moving across the glass.

Maybe others have had better luck with wax and Rain-X than I did.

Here's what I suggest and have tried:

The glass can get a pretty stubborn gloppy film stuck to it causing a hazy wipe.  Things like tree sap, road oil, salt and exhaust chemicals.  Try a variety of solvents like alcohol, acetone, detergent, and toluene to be sure that no goo is on the glass and that it is spotlessly clean.

Clean the wiper blades with dish soap, acetone and alcohol. 

Verify the wiper arms are not twisted so that the blades are correctly contacting the glass.

If you still have problems, time to replace the blades as Herman first suggested.  Like Ken said, it's a safety issue.

Still have a hazy wipe?  Over many years, the glass can get micro pitting so that when the blade wipes over the glass tiny particles of water and crud remain on the windshield in the pits and never get wiped off the surface.  Time for a new windshield!  If it's a safety issue, making night driving in the rain dangerous for example and you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance, it might be covered and only cost $20.00 or so out of pocket.

I appreciated this off-topic topic because I hate a smeary, hazy wipe, especially at night with oncoming headlights.  It can really be hazardous it you can't wee where you are going even for a short time.

Ken S

Excellent post, Grepper, and very thorough.

Ken

Rob

By the way....I'm Bob...and I'm your Uncle  ;)
Best.    Rob.

Rem

... or alternatively ......  as we say in Canuckland .... (well I do, anyway) .... 

Fred's your plumber.        R    ???

grepper

Indeed.  Twer it not for Rob I wouldn't know uncle Bob.